Haunt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last night I found one of the Baby Alive Bouncing Babblin' babies at Toys-R-Us on clearance for $10. I already had in mind to turn it into a bouncing bat baby, using of course, the infamous Bat Boy photo. I had seen a certain doll at a Wal Mart near one of my jobsites that seemed to have the perfect look with the slightly open mouth and the acrylic eyes versus painted on eyes. Picked that up today as well as this creampuff of a baby carriage from the 50's. (Did I really just say creampuff? Wow, smack me.) It's in incredible condition and it was screaming to be the home of Vampire Bat Baby.

I plan to do a carnivale theme, without being period accurate, I do want to give it a heavy Victorian slant and the freak aspect will be up and center. I'll be making a cage that will go over the baby carriage that the Vampire Bat Baby will be locked in, along with a pump of sorts and tubes running into the cage for the baby to "feed" off of. I'll be digging out my vintage medical stuff for that.

I had to hack apart the Baby Alive doll, I wasn't keen about the cartoon like face. There is a sensor in the doll's head, so I kept that intact as well as the sensor in her arm. After I removed her head and arms, I cut off the arms from the doll (Lots to Love Babies) I was actually using for the looks and sewed them on. Then popped off the head and begin to make it a bit more realistic. The ears were important, I ended up heating them up repeatedly with a heat gun and then gently stretching the ear with needle nose pliers, in an up and out direction, so I could get a point but make them a bit more noticeable by pulling them out from the head. It is subtle, but I think it works. The Lots of Love Baby is bigger than the Baby Alive, so not really in proportion, but I think it works. I then started to paint in some definition in the face, added fangs and a touch of blood and even started adding fake eyelashes because I'm a bit of a freak that way. Sadly the lighting in the video after the paint job was done is severely lacking. I'll get proper photos and better video soon.

The sensor on demo mode was working smashingly, especially in the car as everything set it off (and I had a long day running from jobsite to jobsite!). But for some reason, it's taking a lot to get it to react for video. I plan to play around with it some more. One sensor is a touch sensor you can push, the other was in the Baby Alive's head, pretty sure that one is a motion sensor.

Here's some video of the in progress so you can see the ears as well as a little bit of the action it does plus the baby carriage which the baby shakes when it bounces since the baby carriage is on springs.

·
IN MEMORIAM - A Wee Bit Wicked....
8,647 Posts
:jol: Oh Acid PT, I love it! You did a fantastic job with melting the ears and the video is hysterical! You crack me up! ("George" is also quite funny with his 'devil baby' rant...):D

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was ridiculously happy with how the ears turned out. I'll get better video once it's all put together. Glad you got a laugh from the video, Damion or George and I amuse ourselves, although we're not sure if we necessarily amuse others. Damion also does these dramatic falls in public, makes it look like I've pushed him, then we do these mock voices and fights, they seem hilarious to us but people just stare. :D

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Wow, that is so cute. I love the voice, the action and the ears. Great job and a beautiful carriage. I had one like that I got when I lived in England.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That bounce!!! Love !!!!
It was the bounce that sold me!

Wow, that is so cute. I love the voice, the action and the ears. Great job and a beautiful carriage. I had one like that I got when I lived in England.
Oh I bet that carriage was grand, probably prettier than this one here. It is in bloody fantastic shape, for the price, a steal.

Thank you so much! The ears are subtle but I really enjoy it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts