Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you know, I'm ignorant when it comes to electronics.

If somethings uses a 12 VAC or 12 VDC adaptor, can I just cut the wires on the motor that lead to that circle plug thang and hook up a pocket type rectangular 12 v battery instead?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
764 Posts
Sickie Ickie said:
As most of you know, I'm ignorant when it comes to electronics.

If somethings uses a 12 VAC or 12 VDC adaptor, can I just cut the wires on the motor that lead to that circle plug thang and hook up a pocket type rectangular 12 v battery instead?
what!? you cant hook up ac to dc without a adapter ....can hook up at 12vdc to a battery though .......but not a 12vac motor to battery......i belive thats right correct me if im wrong
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah. I see...

I have a motor I want to use from a table top fiber optic tree. The challenge is it is 12 vac and I want to run it from a pocket type rectangular 12 vdc battery. what can I do, or is it a lost cause?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wasn't as clear as I should have been I guess. Is there something to change the 12 vac to 12 vdc so I can use batteries?..or did you answer that and I didn't get it?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
764 Posts
Sickie Ickie said:
I wasn't as clear as I should have been I guess. Is there something to change the 12 vac to 12 vdc so I can use batteries?..or did you answer that and I didn't get it?
to change 12vac to run off 12 vdc i never heard of anything like that ....maybe somone else can shed some more light on this ...sorry i couldnt help but i have seen a wallwart or what ever you wanna call em adpater etc with 9 volt pulg in......only thing even crosses my mind is a power invertor dc to ac for 12 volt systems on cars
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,024 Posts
Those tabletop fibreoptic trees do use a 12 ac to dc adapter. The motor runs off of 12 volts DC..so, yes, you could use a 12 DC batterey, provided it has enough current (AMPS) to run it. The listing of the Output DC and current should be labled on the adapter the tree usually uses. Just make sure your battery is capable of reproducing that current.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Heyya Doc. I'm thinking there's more than one type of tree motor?

On the back of the pot where the adapter plugs in it has written 12 VAC .

The motor itself that I pulled has written on it this:

Synchronous Motor
42TYZ-12
12V-50/60Hz 1.5-2W 5-6r/min

Knowing nothing about this stuff, I'm assuming that means 5-6 revelutions per min.

Does the 12V mean VDC and it only used the VAC to run the halogen light that was also in there?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
764 Posts
Sickie Ickie said:
Heyya Doc. I'm thinking there's more than one type of tree motor?

On the back of the pot where the adapter plugs in it has written 12 VAC .

The motor itself that I pulled has written on it this:

Synchronous Motor
42TYZ-12
12V-50/60Hz 1.5-2W 5-6r/min

Knowing nothing about this stuff, I'm assuming that means 5-6 revelutions per min.

Does the 12V mean VDC and it only used the VAC to run the halogen light that was also in there?
on back of pot says 12vac then its ac motor how many power sources does this tree have and what are they
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No place for batteries. If it did I'd automatically think that I'd be okay with using them :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
I'm pretty sure your motor is AC...if I'm remembering hertz correctly (fat chance)...

The 50/60Hz means it wants the electricity to cycle 50/60 times a second, so that's an AC motor.


Unless I'm entirely wrong...if I am, someone please step up a give me a dope slap?
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top