Haunt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a voodoo theme in one room this year and was wondering if anyone had any cool ideas. Right now I have a couple shrunken heads, some bottles with different "things" inside, lots of bones and the creepy audio track from the movie "The Skeleton Key".

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
If feasible, lots of candles. Fake snakes, bundles of dried plants, some primitive looking effigies (voodoo dolls), statues of saints...I'll try to think of some more. I know that other folks around here will help you out, too.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Take old grapevines, twist them together to make figures or just balls to hang from trees. Find wooden masks or build some from foam. When you see vodoo stuff on tv, there are chickens running around. Lots of fake fire.

And don't be sticking pins in any dolls with the word 'slimy' on them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
A voodoo altar would be an important centerpiece. It sounds like you're on the right track, and items that Grapegrl suggested would be central to an altar. Other things that would be used in voodoo ceremonies are bottles of liquor (or liquor bottles with colored water :) ), tobacco products (cigs, cigars), money (coin or paper), and sweets (candy!!!!). These things are all common offerings to the different voodoo loa (spirits).

Burn some incense (the earthier the better) in a safe container on the altar so the space is smelly and a bit hazy. If you can draw or otherwise mark symbols on the floor in front of the altar, that would be cool too. If you can't find saint statues, saint candles would be great (tall glass jars with different colored wax and a saint's image printed/pasted/painted on them). Different colors of candles are important also, even if you don't burn them.

You might try searching for voodoo altar pics on the web, but I don't know if you'll find any. It's bad mojo to photograph altars, or so I've heard. I'm going to New Orleans for a week on Saturday (yea!), so I'll have a look-see at the voodoo shops and the voodoo museum to see if there's anything outstanding that hasn't already been covered in this thread.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey Gorn,
There is a catalog of products I think would be of interest to you. They have candles and ritual supplies n stuff!

IndioProducts

Lots of good ideas on here already, you guys are goooood.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts