Haunt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 933 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you who are interested in fog chillers. Here is a link to a manual for the Vortex Pro Fog Chillers. It gives you some really good pictures of how it is made. You could make one yourself much cheaper than buying one.

edited 10/10/2007 --> updated the link to the manual

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks gmacted. Always wondered how those worked so well.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow thanks GM. I have a kitty litter bucket out in the garage I could use.
That's what I thought of when I first saw it. Please post how much it cost to build it. I think they charge way too much for this product for what it is.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
well let's see...

1 kitty litter bucket.......free
1 2 inch pvc 90 elbo......$1.00-$1.50 ?
1 2 inch pvc pipe..........I think I have a piece around somewere.
1 grate material............I have some of that too.
Ice ......................... no problem there.

looks like I can make this for under $2.00. or $3.00 for black spray paint :D

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
it seems that you would want to shoot the hot fog to the top and have it come down through the ice. I wonder what a block of dry ice would do to the fog in that gizmo? :D

·
Registered
871 Posts
I saw the vortex fogger in action at HauntCon and it stands up to its claims, however, there was another vendor there selling fog juice that had slapped together a small bucket fogger in his hotel room that was performing just as well...if not better. Save your $$ and make a simple bucket/dryer hose chiller.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it seems that you would want to shoot the hot fog to the top and have it come down through the ice. I wonder what a block of dry ice would do to the fog in that gizmo? :D
It's the total opposite of that. You want to shoot the fog to the bottom, let it rise through the ice, and then be forced down through the outlet pipe. It makes more sense this way. First you want to let the fog expand, then let it naturally rise (hot air/fog rises) and let it be cooled by the ice, then be forced down the outlet pipe which is also cooled by the ice.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw the vortex fogger in action at HauntCon and it stands up to its claims, however, there was another vendor there selling fog juice that had slapped together a small bucket fogger in his hotel room that was performing just as well...if not better. Save your $$ and make a simple bucket/dryer hose chiller.
HiblaGrande is making this one for ~$3. You can't get much cheaper than that!

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Now that I see how this thing is made, I can just make a small modification to my old "Fog on the Rocks" chiller to get a similar effect as the Vortex chiller. Basically, it looks like the Vortex is Wil's old FOTR with an elbow and a length of pipe attached on the inside of the outlet pipe.

How does he get off charging so much money for that thing? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
OK so I went to Lowes today and bought a 5 gallon bucket for 5 bucks, a 6foot length of 2 inch pvc for 6 bucks (only needed 8 inches), a long sweep 90 elbow for 1.50. and a female threaded adapter for 1.50. I cut a panel of wire frame modular storage shelf for the main ice mesh for support and covered that with chicken wire folded over to make the mesh tighter.slapped the whole thing together with duct tape in about an hour and it does work suprisingly well. :D oh yeah it fits a whole 10 Lb bag of ice 1.45

so I spent more than $2.00, I forgot I threw out all my kitty liter buckets last week end on a dump run.

but Im still under $20.00 and every thing is shiney new. :D

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK so I went to Lowes today and bought a 5 gallon bucket for 5 bucks, a 6foot length of 2 inch pvc for 6 bucks (only needed 8 inches), a long sweep 90 elbow for 1.50. and a female threaded adapter for 1.50. I cut a panel of wire frame modular storage shelf for the main ice mesh for support and covered that with chicken wire folded over to make the mesh tighter.slapped the whole thing together with duct tape in about an hour and it does work suprisingly well. :D oh yeah it fits a whole 10 Lb bag of ice 1.45

so I spent more than $2.00, I forgot I threw out all my kitty liter buckets last week end on a dump run.

but Im still under $20.00 and every thing is shiney new. :D
How about some pictures or a video? What type of fogger did you use?

14,925 Posts
Now that I see how this thing is made, I can just make a small modification to my old "Fog on the Rocks" chiller to get a similar effect as the Vortex chiller. Basically, it looks like the Vortex is Wil's old FOTR with an elbow and a length of pipe attached on the inside of the outlet pipe.

How does he get off charging so much money for that thing? :rolleyes:
You got it Z, that was the big secret!!! LOL

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What really amazes me is how he got patents on it??
I was thinking the same thing.

All it is is PVC pipe and some wire mesh. Way over priced!

·
Registered
823 Posts
How does this compare though to some of the modifications that are out there - specifically - and I can't remember the name of it - the rubbermaid trash can with the dryer ducting coiled up in it?

Or how does this compare to the basic "cooler" chillers?

I'm just curious if anyone has any opinions. I haven't started my chillers and want to gather opinions.

: ^)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How does this compare though to some of the modifications that are out there - specifically - and I can't remember the name of it - the rubbermaid trash can with the dryer ducting coiled up in it?

Or how does this compare to the basic "cooler" chillers?

I'm just curious if anyone has any opinions. I haven't started my chillers and want to gather opinions.

: ^)
According to the manual, "... since turbulance is the number one enemy of fog, we strongly recommend NOT using any form of corrugated duct such as dryer hose which will rob you of both fog density as well as velocity you need to propel the fog out to the scene."

I used a chiller based roughly on this design (only one slight modifiaction is needed) and I think it works rather well. The only main difference is that I used a cooler as my container.

1 - 20 of 933 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.