Haunt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
That's a good question! I have VSA and a prop1 controller but never tried, I'm very busy right now because of MHC but If I get a chance I'll try it unless someone beet's me to it!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well it seems like it should work. Basic stamps (such as are in the Prop1 or a basic stamp2 for that matter) can take serial input, and VSA can output serial output. So really it seems like just a matter of telling the stamp what to listen for on ther serial line from VSA right?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Why not VSA and a Parallax USB Servo Controller??? This setup works great if you want to control your prop from a PC. Lots of add ons too Like PWM switches, relay boards and a new exorcist trigger boards.

or You could use Vixen and a Prop1 controller since the driver for vixen has been created...for more information about the Vixen do a search on Jonnymac post. He also may know if this VSA+prop1 combo is possible...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why not VSA and a Parallax USB Servo Controller??? This setup works great if you want to control your prop from a PC. Lots of add ons too Like PWM switches, relay boards and a new exorcist trigger boards.

or You could use Vixen and a Prop1 controller since the driver for vixen has been created...for more information about the Vixen do a search on Jonnymac post. He also may know if this VSA+prop1 combo is possible...
Well mostly because i already have a stamp.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm controlling a Prop-1 with Vixen, so there's no reason VSA wouldn't work if a driver for it was developed. Keep in mind that the Prop-1 is a fairly slow controller, so you have to send some kind of synchronization header (we use "VXN" for Vixen) and then the data you want to manipulate. For the Vixen/Prop-1 project the driver supports three servos and four digital outputs -- that's about all that can be supported while refreshing the servos at a reasonable rate (about 40 ms).

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well on a similar tangent, I was able to get my stamp to identift signals from my mini ssc. I have it set so that i can have VSA send a servo position to a channel on the ssc and then the stamp reads the servo position and executes the instructions i have setup for that value.

·
Registered
80 Posts
That's actually an interesting idea; and as the SSC uses $FF as a sync character you can use that with the WAIT modifier (BS2) to keep everything in order.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Well on a similar tangent, I was able to get my stamp to identift signals from my mini ssc. I have it set so that i can have VSA send a servo position to a channel on the ssc and then the stamp reads the servo position and executes the instructions i have setup for that value.
Are you using PULSIN like below or something else?

I was only able to get a signal from the VSA to start a Prop1/Prop2/BS2 routine. VSA signals a servo swing to the servo controller. The Stamp can read a PULSIN off a signal pin on the the servo controller jumpered to a pin on the Stamp. Im sure some programing wiz could write a program for the PC to start VSA with a serout cue from the stamp...but thats way beyond my skills.

Here's an example code for reading the signal:

'{$STAMP BS2}
'{$PBASIC 2.5}

'this uses a jumper from a servo controller signal pin to pin 6 on BS2
'when pin 6 receives a pulse greater than 200mS (like servo arm far left)
'it switches PIN 15 HIGH

x VAR Word

main:
PULSIN 6, 1, x

IF x < 200 THEN HIGH 15 ELSE LOW 15
DEBUG CLS, ? X

PAUSE 1500
GOTO main

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you using PULSIN like below or something else?
Yes I am using pulsin. And the key to getting it to be stable is to tie the grounds for the stamp and the ssc together.
But i am able to be way more specific than just saying less than 200.
It only varies by 1 or two that I have seen so I can set up +- 3 and be in range and have a lot of routines that can happen within the servo pulse sweep.

Thanks to all who helped, I am very excited about it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts