Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my entry for the Technological Challenge. I wanted to add a walking ghost to my yard, so decided to make the ghost climb out of his grave and then find the person who woke him up and run towards them. With a small air blast at the end.

The hands and feet were made modular to plug them into electrical type outlets for easier handling and storage.

Parts list

$0.00 wooden cross prop
$0.00 4 rpm motor
$2.00 2 power supplies, 1 free in rules

$2.00 wood for base
$0.25 wood glue
$0.40 8 wood screws
$1.00 black paint
$0.50 small bungee cord
$1.10 eye bolt
$2.33 swivel
$0.25 8" steel rod
$0.10 couple washers
$0.10 welding wire

$5.87 4 gang outlet housing
$1.67 4 wall outlets
$3.00 12 - 1100uf capacitors
$1.20 12 LEDS with free resistors
$0.96 12 spade connectors
$4.99 parallax proto SX board
$0.25 hot glue
$1.44 2- 2803 driver chips
$3.12 2- screw terminals
$0.10 2 other resistors
$0.50 solder
$0.05 couple small screws
$0.50 push button

$14.43 sprinkler valve
$1.64 1 x 1/2 coupling
$1.40 1/2 x 1/4 bushing
$1.23 air chuck fitting

$6.75 10 computer cords
$7.20 lexan for hands and feet
$0.42 6 butt splice
$5.00 MP3 player
$4.00 2, 12volt relays
$9.00 3 extension cords
$1.60 plastic enclosure box
$3.00 cheap computer speaker
$1.25 3 way power splitter
$1.00 burlap

Total cost $91.60

Here is the video of it in action.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Sweet! I love the moving grave marker. I like how the footsteps start slowly and then take off. Nicely done, Wes!

·
Super Moderator
64,107 Posts
This is so much fun, and your little girl is adorable.

The ghostly steps are not commonly seen in home haunts, so they're even more effective as a scare.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
That is great. I love the footsteps. Just those alone would make a creepy haunt scare. The whole set up is fun, interactive, original, and scary. I would say a complete package.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GOT, the prop is triggered by a push button. As the yard isn't set up yet, I did the manual trigger and thought it looked better to have my little girl interact more as I don't have the yard decor up.

For my yard, I will be putting up a fence around it and plan on having a sign on the outside of the fence stating "Wake the Dead, push here", so the kids will be positioned correctly for the prop scene to unfold out to them.

It's may be a little hard to see in the video, but the hands appear first as if lifting yourself out, then the rest are feet pieces.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Aha! I was wondering how you would get the TOTs in the right place. That's going to be a big hit!

·
Muddled Moderator
28,214 Posts
That a fun one. Kids are going to love it (or pee themselves :)). Is there an audio for the ghost? I couldn't hear anything on the video.

·
Batty Beautiful
5,633 Posts
hahahaha. This is awesome! I can see some scared little kids running away from this. Your little girl is very adorable...and brave! I love how she said "wakey wakey!"

·
Registered
487 Posts
GOT, the prop is triggered by a push button. As the yard isn't set up yet, I did the manual trigger and thought it looked better to have my little girl interact more as I don't have the yard decor up.

For my yard, I will be putting up a fence around it and plan on having a sign on the outside of the fence stating "Wake the Dead, push here", so the kids will be positioned correctly for the prop scene to unfold out to them.

It's may be a little hard to see in the video, but the hands appear first as if lifting yourself out, then the rest are feet pieces.
Rather than a push button, what if you used a small bell? You could work in an electrical contact between the top of the bell and the hammer. Or make a small bell tower so the kids can ring the bell by pulling a rope, and the rope pull also triggers the prop. I would keep the actual bell small so that the kids don't get carried away making a racket.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Nice scene idea. Gettin the young ones involved is a great idea also. Moulding the future prop builders of the world
Maybe put out a small bowl of candy and a pressure mat or motion sensor, that should get their attention.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Kids love to push buttons. I think it is a great idea.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I love this Idea! very well put together. I love it when it says I see you over there and starts to chase the kids. I may have to steal er borrow yeah borrow this one. I might add a weasel ball under the cloth to add some more dirt movement. I like the idea of the bell as well. you can have the bell hit a micro switch like this one.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049718

1 - 20 of 25 Posts