Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how many of you actually allow people to walk in amongst the headstones. Two years ago we allowed it, there was no damage, and the people really loved it. This past year it was closed off to walking through, and people spent much less time looking at it. I'm thinking of some sort of compromise whereby there is a fenced path through it. I'm just really surprised at how many people enjoyed being in amongst the stones. Any thoughts or opinions, or how do you all do it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I used to allow it also, at the old house. the new old house is less condusive to that kind of lay out. Wouldn't mind getting back to it, like you said ppl tended to spend more time there. Would have to change the lay out, again, but its doable. have to work on it.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Since I don't do yard haunts, I can't really say. I thought this was a thread about walking through and actual graveyard--at night! Maybe a thread could be made like that with a poll even. Hmmmmm...!

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
I let my visitors walk through freely. Just make sure there's always someone around to watch them and you should be free of any damaged items as most people won't mess around with stuff if they know (or think) they're being watched. So far, in the three years I've done it, I've not had any incidents with damaged items.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I got confused like Sinister, I was thinkin who would have a grave yard in their back yard?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I let people walk through mine, but it's small and near the front door, so few people do it. :p Hopefully, this'll change by next year.

·
Registered
214 Posts
2005 halloween I had 4 brothers ages 7 to 12 make their mom take their picture in my grave yard. Each picked a tombstone that was "theirs" and layed down in front of it... Had I been thinking, I would have got their names down and made each one their own stone for next year :/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Walking through graveyards

Here in Louisiana they do it alot, especially in New Orleans during the Halloween times cause the graves are above ground but not sure they are going to do it this year due to the hurricanes.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
We used to have the graveyard closed off and just had one of our actors wandering around in there. This past year we switched it around and let people walk through there. They spent alot of time reading each of the stones and checking everything out. This year we are moving it yet again since I have so many stones and the entire front yard will be graveyard and open to whomever wants to go through it. I've never had any problems with any of our props in the displays.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Well, I hadn't planned on letting everyone wander around the cemetery but quite a few did :)
I had a path through the center and I assumed that they would just follow the path to the end...wrong. I wasn't worried too much about damage, I just didn't want anyone to trip over all the extension cords or branches and get hurt.
Maybe next year I can make the cemetery bigger and arrange it better to accomodate anyone who wants to wander around and read the tombstones.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I really dig when the people walk through my graveyard.. tho after they fall in the first open grave and I start throwing dirt on top of them they tend to get freaked out. ... :)

all kidding a side.. I would love todo a walk through graveyard with the cool stuff blocked/fenced off, and some more hands on things set up for people to look at. This year I had to block it off as I wasnt very well put together due to time constraints. I think it adds to the effect if they are allowed to walk through it and there is always enough of my people around to watch things if im busy chasing a group of kids down the street in my zombie costume.. :)

·
Registered
763 Posts
We rope off the graveyard so folks can't walk directly in it (too many cords and stuff to trip over) but the tombstones are arranged so they can all be easily read. I'm amazed at how year after year people will read them all. I try to add a new one each year and re-arrange them so it isn't the same.
Merlin (TQO)

·
Registered
295 Posts
I like the idea of having them wander through the cemetary and I have never had fences in the past, but I plan to make some fences for this year. Blue foam-based gravestones look great but they are pretty fragile and I don't want any more swiped or broken.

·
In Remembrance
7,646 Posts
A walk through graveyard that flanks your entry to the haunt sounds great. I tried to use a dremal to put names and decorations on the stones but it turned into a mess and looked bad. Short of painting, is there a better way to do this? I used 2 in. styrofoam.

14,919 Posts
Bone Dancer said:
A walk through graveyard that flanks your entry to the haunt sounds great. I tried to use a dremal to put names and decorations on the stones but it turned into a mess and looked bad. Short of painting, is there a better way to do this? I used 2 in. styrofoam.
I really depends on the stones you make. I've used 4" down to 1 ".
As far as getting all creative on the lettering, I don't do it. It's just a little. Like in a graveyard at night. How much can you read.
Placement of your lights is a very important task also. You need lights in front and in back. Put a littl fog into it. Wow, it's creeepy.
Again, my lights are 20 ft. or higher in the trees, giving the moon glow effect.
this produces shadows. I don't go for the spot lights on stones, unless it's going to scare someone.

This make sense?

Jeff

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Frighteners Entertainment said:
I really depends on the stones you make. I've used 4" down to 1 ".
As far as getting all creative on the lettering, I don't do it. It's just a little. Like in a graveyard at night. How much can you read.
Placement of your lights is a very important task also. You need lights in front and in back. Put a littl fog into it. Wow, it's creeepy.
Again, my lights are 20 ft. or higher in the trees, giving the moon glow effect.
this produces shadows. I don't go for the spot lights on stones, unless it's going to scare someone.

This make sense?

Jeff
I agree. I think far too many people put individual spots on their stones, ruining the creepiness of the graveyard. But, to each his own, I guess.

I think for next year, I'm going to move the two lights that face out towards the front of the graveyard onto the tree that's just outside the graveyard so they illuminate the graveyard from in front of the entryway pillars. That should cast some long shadows from the fencing, light the pillars up too and keep the light out of the viewer's eyes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts