Haunt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a lot of folks on the web that do walk-through haunts for the TOT's on Halloween. I have used pop-up (EZ-up's) canopies, PVC pipe (not so sturdy in the wind!) and duct-taped plastic to the open garage door to do my haunts in the past. I finally settled on the modular type of canopy using galvanized, angle fittings like what is advertized HERE.:jol:

My current haunt is 20'x30' (600 sq. ft.). I use black /silver poly tarps (black facing in) for the exterior walls and canvas (dyed grey/black) for the interior walls. This allows me to have a variety of room and hallway layouts for variety. This is also relatively easy to store and only takes about an hour or two to assemble.

I was wondering what everyone here uses for their walk throughs and does anyone else use the same type as I do?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I also use the 10x10 easy ups as my rooms. I have 2 or 3 of them, and then a 10x20 one too. In between, to connect them with the "hallway" this year I've carved large styrofoam panels to look like rock walls, and will attach them to a wire that is going to be connected to the tent frames. At least, thats the plan. We'll see how it turns out. In the past though, I've just used black tarps to make hallways. We always seem to be fighting the wind out here, so I'm trying a different set up this time around.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Haasmama, those are a great system to use, very durable and sturdy. I only have a few joiners I use for a flag pole, but I like that idea. What's the cost for your 20'x30' setup? What would you estimate your whole cost, frame, tarps, canvas and all?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I havebeen building on my haunt and add to it every year. This is the 6th year so as far as a total, I can really only guestimate.

The galvanized fittings are about $6ea (there are 12 now)
The poles for the frame came from a friends Electrical business and I paid like $3 a 10' pole (again, adding length/width yearly)

This years major contribution are the black/silver tarps for the exterior (10 total) that cost about $10 each.

My interior walls are canvas tarps that I dyed grey, again, adding tomy collection yearly.

I guess it's about $400 total thereabouts... Again, I can store it all easily. It's been worth it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Pipe canopies are great. I'm going to build one inside my garage this year. They're pretty cheap to make since EMT is so inexpensive. It'll have a roof and walls made from landscape plastic. I found a place that seems to have excellent prices on fittings...

http://www.ysbw.com/

I have some connectors for 3/4" EMT but I'll need a lot more since I'll also have a hallway and extra overhead pipes to support lights.

Where did you find the silver/black tarps? I'd love to see pictures of your setup if you have them.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Sweet!!! I was looking for the connectors for months now. thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pipe canopies are great. I'm going to build one inside my garage this year. They're pretty cheap to make since EMT is so inexpensive. It'll have a roof and walls made from landscape plastic. I found a place that seems to have excellent prices on fittings...

http://www.ysbw.com/

I have some connectors for 3/4" EMT but I'll need a lot more since I'll also have a hallway and extra overhead pipes to support lights.

Where did you find the silver/black tarps? I'd love to see pictures of your setup if you have them.
I found the tarps at tarpsupply.com for $9.51 each, and discountcoversandtarps.com for $10.21 ea.

I do not have pictures of past haunts, but I will of this years. I usually get so caught up putting it up that I forget to take pictures.

For the price of buying the pieces separately and the fact that I can store everything relatively easily, it is worth it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts