Haunt Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
As it turned out, good I hadn't glued originally as my spacing for the braces for the scones accommodated the needed gap to feed the grounded plug through, but not the spacing for the outlet cover I'm using to mount the fixture to - so both had to be spaced out a bit further. Which then meant the matched brace on the other two got moved too (if I ever want/need cross bracing or mods to support the rebar or a sign upright, I wanted easy ability to put in cross braces between the side bracing later).

My fixtures are inexpensive options from Amazon, and the back plate is narrower than a fixture box, and the included mounting hardware are wood screws - definitely not intended to mount to a fixture box. So, after lots of considerations for how to mount so that I can remove for storage, I opted to use an outlet cover. The cover will mount to the bracing, and the light will mount to the cover. I can thread screws through the fixture plate in into the threaded holes in the plate. For redundancy, I can use a box mounting bracket on the back side and some wing nuts.

View attachment 21747

This is the fixture from Amazon. I'm gong to use a flicker bulb. My cemetery has a very gothic style to it and the open diamond pattern in these match well with the finials and gate toppers.

View attachment 21748
That mount looks like it is going to be pretty solid, if you find that it is digging into the foam you can always add nylon spacers between the fixture & cover. Those are really neat looking fixtures, are they a cast metal or plastic?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
That mount looks like it is going to be pretty solid, if you find that it is digging into the foam you can always add nylon spacers between the fixture & cover. Those are really neat looking fixtures, are they a cast metal or plastic?
They are a lightweight metal. Not much to them, actually. But they fit the design I'm going for -

Heres a pic of my fence sections and gate panels - awaiting dry weather to paint.

Rectangle Road surface Fence Grey Black-and-white

Wood Road surface Fence Rectangle Symmetry

·
Registered
127 Posts
They are a lightweight metal. Not much to them, actually. But they fit the design I'm going for -

Heres a pic of my fence sections and gate panels - awaiting dry weather to paint.

View attachment 21758

View attachment 21759
The fencing looks awesome, I can see why you choose those light fixtures.

·
Registered
442 Posts

View attachment 21758

View attachment 21759
Your cemetery fence is amazing! Seems like every year someone does something cool and different and it makes me want to re-do all of mine.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I wired my columns the same way. Using a grounded cord to the light. The next year I added an outdoor electrical box to the backside of my columns so I could power the light on the column and be able to plug other items in. I want to go back and make the dual outlet into a quad.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Your cemetery fence is amazing! Seems like every year someone does something cool and different and it makes me want to re-do all of mine.
Thank you. I debated quite a bit between buying and building - and despite knowing they would take longer and cost more than I planned, I'm glad I decided to build. I had a design in mind and with lots of input from folks on the forums, I was able to identify the materials and construction approach to have it come together.

Still waiting on dry weather to paint... lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I wired my columns the same way. Using a grounded cord to the light. The next year I added an outdoor electrical box to the backside of my columns so I could power the light on the column and be able to plug other items in. I want to go back and make the dual outlet into a quad.
The backside (and top) of my columns will be removable - so that I can place the columns where I want it, level it if needed, and then secure using rebar placed through a center piece of PVC and pounded in the ground.

I do have a hole drilled through the bottom - so if I wanted, I could run multiple cords into and connect to a multi outlet box. Right now, the hole is so that I run the cord for the sconce out -

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
just a few pics of the finished mounting solution -

The fixture is hard wired to an extension cord. The cord slips through the plate opening and the fixture canopy mounts to the threaded tabs on the mounting plate. The cord then routes through the bottom of the column and is plugged into a power source in the yard.

Water Fixture Door Gas Tints and shades

Window Wood Architecture Door Fixture

Street light Wood Rectangle Automotive exterior Bumper

21 - 28 of 28 Posts