Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking with the seasonal manager at my local store today and they said they are going to be doing far less in the future for Halloween then in the past. He even said they were basically skipping Halloween. Of course they are gearing up for Christmas as we speak.

I just got off the phone with a customer service rep at 1-800-walmart and they said they will put in a complaint for me. I know is the years past walmart has done fairly well when it comes to halloween but the past two years they have been quickly going down hill.

Basically what they said it boils down to is that they don't have enough sales to do much for halloween. Now I would think that if they carry junk or very little for halloween, nobody will bother with buying it.

I have voiced my opinion about it to them and know my one opinion will not make a difference but if we all got on them maybe we could get the stores to give us more of what we want and hopefully put some competition back into the other retailers in our areas to get better stuff.

Ok I'm stepping off my soap box now. :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
I bought some cool skull heads at walmart last year for my stanchions. I also bought a few cheap tombstones. Too bad. I always look forward to going to walmart in late August. I guess there's still Big Lots. They have some cool stuff too!

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Cant say it breaks my heart. I basically refuse to set foot in the stores. In my area they are dumps with lousy service screaming children and ignorant people. I will gladly pay more elsewhere.
But if it will help a fellow member I will lodge a caplaint

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
TearyThunder said:
Of course they are gearing up for Christmas as we speak.
Therein lies your dilemma. Christmas is a very lucrative business and since most people have forgotten that the hoilday is more about sharing than giving, retailers destroy the entire institution with their greed. It's how many wide screen TV's, designer clothing and whatever the **** the latest video game technology they have out on the market at the moment that will be forgotten by the following year, they try to push. Halloween is more or less a dirty little embarrassment that they only cater to, because there are those of us that still celebrate it and they might be able to squeeze a few more bucks from that part of the general populace. Every penny counts, especially if you're a multi-billion corporation like Wal-Mart. They might go bankrupt one day here soon, ya know. :rolleyes:

I'll bet that attitude where it pertains to Halloween is only indicative to the so-called "Bible Belt" in the south. I happen to know for a fact that a lot of GM merchandise and it's flow is largely dictated by the manager and the sales managers of the store rather than home office. Upon further inspection, I'll bet the person who IS the store manager where you frequent, is a very religious person. People like that CAN'T WAIT to abolish such Satanic holidays like All Hallows. ****ing jerks! :finger:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Check other walmarts in your town. I have gone to ones that dont have halloween items out in the second week of october, while others will stock the shelves in mid sept and earlier.
It might have to do with halloween sales in that immediate area.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sin, I do agree with you on the whole X-mas sales thing. I actually spend about $100-$200 a year on X-mas versus the $500+ on Halloween. I do know a good bit of people who do the same as I regarding the holidays though.

Out in out my town Halloween is actually still alive and well. You acutally see more decorations for Halloween than X-mas. Then again I'm in a town of about 500 people too. Heck our school even allows the Kindergartners to dress up a few days before Halloween and they take them on a hay ride through town and they TOT through town. The other grades as far as I know hold class parties.

The guy I spoke with at the store and on the phone basically said the same about the sales being the reason for the drop in merchandise. I don't know how they felt personally. I guess I will be making a call or stopping by to have a chat with the store manager since I have talked with corporate customer service and the dept manager.

I think this year I will drive around with me camera and take pictures of all the houses decorated and send them to the store manager and the home office.

BTW thanks to all whole are willing to call and help with a complaint.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE!!!!!

I just got off the phone with the Store manager of my store! He called ME! I guess from the complaint I made earlier has certainly got someone curious. The store manager is actually for another store who transfered when the supercenter opened up out here. He said they had probably 12 isles of things in the store he was at last year and is looking into what my store will be carring and will certainly making some changes if possible to get more items in if the store is getting just a couple few isles. I guess he may just be a Halloween fan. I will have to wait to see.

He also asked about the forum. I gave him the link to this one and Halloween Forum. He says he is passing along the links to the buyers so that they can see what we are doing and looking for. Things could get interesting if we are able to actually get them look and see that more people are involved than what they *think.*

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I hope all of those sentiments above prove to your satisfaction, TT. In my experience, the manager was just blowing smoke up your ass. They are paid to tell customers what they want to hear. If everyone is into Halloween as you say around where you live, then why a drop in store sales? Seems to me people would be choking the aisles the first signs those retro plastic pumpkins were taken from a huge box and poured into a dump bin. What I'm saying is, don't get your hopes up too much if at all. The bulk of their merchandise is in the back already and it's rare anything comes in from a particular holiday afterward. Why do you think when a seasonal item runs out most of the time, it is replaced with another entirely different item than was there before? When most of it hits the shelf and is gone, it is truly gone. They don't re-order seasonal items.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sin, I'm not sure what it going to happen just yet but I am going to get friends and neighbors invloved as well. In the meantime I'm not going to hold my breath either.

I don't know what has happened to their sales or if there actually have been a drop in sales. It could be possible that the corporate big wheels think that if they skip Halloween and get an early jump on X-mas they can actually make more since X-mas is bigger in sales.

I had just moved here last year at the end of Sept so from what I saw when I finally checked out my local Walmart, a week or so after I actually got settled, they didn't have much of anything worthwhile. They may have had some good stuff or a lot before I actually got in there though. Either way, regardless of which it was they certainly can't sell junk that doesn't interest us.

I am thinking that Big Lots, Walgreens, and Kmart are winning out in ther area here. I do frequent the other stores mentioned as well and actually spend more simply because they have more of what I want. With that being said I think Walmart has to step it up a bit and get back into the competition in order to make the sales.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I watched several Wallmarts here and most of them carried the "same stuff" I asked about it and I was told ALL the stores get the same basic shipment and it does not vary much. I am friends with a product rep that sells his companies product to most of the stores and it their product is not in ALL stores and it varies based on demographics Wallmart has a very sofisticated system of tracking their products.

Now my local stores were selling fast and even the after halloween 50% sale had very little and what was there was GONE in 3 days I went everyday waiting to for stuff to get marked down further and what I wanted evaporated. Only the small items remained that I could care less about. I saw the same in Walgreen's Eckerds, Part City and only Kmart lasted over a week and I did get some good costumes for this years haunt there "Finally" AND I live DEAD center in the "Bible Belt" and it really shows here trust me on that one.

I just keep making more stuff its better looking anyway! Don't let Wallmart tell you sales are down if that's true then HOW are their profits running so HIGH !! We already know what they will have, most of the same as last year and maybe a few new items. Most of your visitors will already have seen it ! They want to see something "Different" and we CAN give them that ! Heck support the guys that are open year around on the web they offer better deals and merchandise and it keeps the $$$ in the family, support each other !! That's American !

·
Registered
512 Posts
I really find it hard to believe that with market analysts stating that Halloween sales are second only in volume to those at Christmas (even if it is a distant second, that's still huge), that Walmart would decrease their ability to bite into that profit line, they aren't exactly known for passing any chance to make a buck and I don't think there head-office is staffed by a bunch of drooling morons - drooling capitalists yes, but not morons.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Marksin said:
Check other walmarts in your town. I have gone to ones that dont have halloween items out in the second week of october, while others will stock the shelves in mid sept and earlier.
It might have to do with halloween sales in that immediate area.
I think that could be the case. The manager of the store itself has a lot to do with what they carry from what I understand. I've seen Walmarts with a far better selection of food than ours, yet ours had a huge Halloween section and the one about 20 miles north of here had an even better selection!

So maybe it is just your particular store, TT, and if that is the case, you could tell quite quickly by checking out all of the other stores in driving distance. You could then tell your store's mngr that you won't be using his services anymore and will frequent the other store.

He won't like that!

14,925 Posts
Now my 2 cents, as S-Mad stated, I don't go into walmarts either...
I just don't like the way they do business.I've seen what they've done when moving into another area and putting all of the mom and pop stores out of business, it's very sad.....so for me it's kinda like selling you soul to the devil.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Jeff, that South Park episode of Walmart is more true than people would like to admit!

I was checking out at ours one day when the guy ringing me up said the obligatory "did you find everything you needed?" to which I replied yes, but that I liked our old regular Walmart better. He looked kind of sad and agreed and then said "a lot of things have changed since we lost Sam" and it was more like to himself. I was really quite sad. But it is true, once Sam Walton died the place/corporation changed. He seemed honestly for family and the middle class with reasonable prices and decent quality. Now the greedy ones who run it are obviously out to make the money. And the place has gone to **** IMHO. And what they do to the local shops is so wrong!

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
wouldnt it be neat if the read the Things found in walmart thread talk about an eye opener

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree with everyone about supporting the online retailers and other stores. Believe me I do, especially Biglots, Walgreens, and Kmart. There are still some things I do look forward to at Walmart simply because the other stores don't carry them. I am getting more into the online realm of things this year. I have ordered several things so far and am expecting to be doing some more orders here very soon if all goes well.

I also somewhat agree with the way Walmart is has turned out since Sam died. I am slowy getting tired of the way things are going with them. I have seen them hurt smaller business and and disrupt quiet areas, it's not too pretty.

Unforunately the supercenter he has been a much welcomed thing in my area. With the shopping limited to a few stores it's hard not to be happy with it. Not to mention the store is the largest in the south east. When I was in Anniston I dreaded going to Walmart but it seems to be not to bad out here. At least not yet. This store hasn't been open a year yet so time will tell how bad it gets.

With all that being said, I feel that regardless of the store we should fight to keep Hallowen something they participate in. If Walmart stops then who's to say the other stores won't. If that happens what will happen to Halloween then?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts