Haunt Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
LED's and sound would be a pretty cool addition to it, but yes that is probably getting into the terriory of where a controller would be best to use. I also haven't dabbled with Arduino either although I would really like to, and probably should take a stab at it in the off season. I have just always purchased a prebuilt controller like a Picoboo and then programmed whatever sequence & sound I need into it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thai is amazing. It takes much less psi per launch than I realized.

That is fantastic! It uses musc lower psi than I realized.
In addition, as to the Arduino, buttonbanger.com has a wonderful show program that’s free and the instructions too build and program the Arduino controller. You can check out my post “My 2021 tombstone build” to see an application of it.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
In addition, as to the Arduino, buttonbanger.com has a wonderful show program that’s free and the instructions too build and program the Arduino controller. You can check out my post “My 2021 tombstone build” to see an application of it.
That sounds great. I need to invest the time to learn. Thanks but until then I'm piecing this thing together. Then I have to design the shooter itself. I'm planning on a liberal use of PVC plumbing parts.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am looking for a power supply and I would rather it be water proof or at least for outdoor use. I found this but dont know if a LED power supply will work for the valves etc. I am planning on using?
I buy Tupperware at Walmart and use a soldering iron To burn holes for the wire. Then silicone the edges. Works great in the heavy rain we get here in New Orleans. All my electronics are kept in them, even my controllers.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I buy Tupperware at Walmart and use a soldering iron To burn holes for the wire. Then silicone the edges. Works great in the heavy rain we get here in New Orleans. All my electronics are kept in them, even my controllers.
That is a brilliant idea.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have to agree with Allen, that power supply looks like it would work fine for you but you can do it for much less. It is 12v and is rated for more than enough amps. I think a regular 5amp supply would be plenty and would be less than half the price but you would have to weather proof it.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The two valves are 2A 24W each and the delay trigger switch uses an unknown but small amount of 12V. I also am thinking of adding an MP3 player with 4 triggers for 4 different sound effects. Don't I have to add all the watts/Amps up to know how big the transformer must be?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sorry, I didn't realize you were going to use two valves. Yes you would add them up, in that case maybe step it up to a 10amp. I got a pretty inexpensive one last year from Jameco, but they do not have them in stock at the moment and neither did Surplus Center. I did find this one and it has the standard 5.5x2.5mm end:

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Sorry, I didn't realize you were going to use two valves. Yes you would add them up, in that case maybe step it up to a 10amp. I got a pretty inexpensive one last year from Jameco, but they do not have them in stock at the moment and neither did Surplus Center. I did find this one and it has the standard 5.5x2.5mm end:
Thanks for all the effort you put in this.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
This looks promising. Each fuse is for 2 amps. The solenoids are 2A each. Would I need just 4A supply or shoud I add another 2A for safety?

·
Registered
119 Posts
This looks promising. Each fuse is for 2 amps. The solenoids are 2A each. Would I need just 4A supply or shoud I add another 2A for safety?

That's a pretty cool idea to power everything. It looks like it comes with it's own power supply so that is taken care of. I always added extra amperage to make sure things run smoothly, so with each channel being 2amps and your valves pulling 2amps that may be an issue. The door however looks like its states "Fuses can be upgraded 2 amperage required providing total power output does not exceed 27A." So you could simply swap out the fuses on the channels the valves are powered from to 3 or 4amp fuses if they are a problem. With that being said if it's total power output is 27amps and it has 18 channels they are actually designed for 1.5amps each so you would just need to keep that in mind for anything else you hook up to it.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
That's a pretty cool idea to power everything. It looks like it comes with it's own power supply so that is taken care of. I always added extra amperage to make sure things run smoothly, so with each channel being 2amps and your valves pulling 2amps that may be an issue. The door however looks like its states "Fuses can be upgraded 2 amperage required providing total power output does not exceed 27A." So you could simply swap out the fuses on the channels the valves are powered from to 3 or 4amp fuses if they are a problem. With that being said if it's total power output is 27amps and it has 18 channels they are actually designed for 1.5amps each so you would just need to keep that in mind for anything else you hook up to it.
Thank you so much, that is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you for being generous with your knowledge. Now I just need to wait a few weeks for pay day to order it.
This is the MP3 player I'm looking at.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thank you so much, that is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you for being generous with your knowledge. Now I just need to wait a few weeks for pay day to order it.
This is the MP3 player I use…

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
That is very nice but it requires an Arduino. I, apparently, am piecing together a semi-analog controller for this thing. I'm working on drawing out a wiring diagram for myself.

·
Registered
119 Posts
No problem, thats a pretty neat MP3 player. It looks like it has four inputs for four MP3 files to be triggered, and one audio output. Are you planning on using one channel of it for your build or do you have a series of individual triggers in mind?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
No problem, thats a pretty neat MP3 player. It looks like it has four inputs for four MP3 files to be triggered, and one audio output. Are you planning on using one channel of it for your build or do you have a series of individual triggers in mind?
It is triggered by - input. I think I can us one with main power turned on, one for when the safety switch is depressed and one when the rooster booster is triggered. I plan on using the headphone jack to an amplified audio.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It is triggered by - input. I think I can us one with main power turned on, one for when the safety switch is depressed and one when the rooster booster is triggered. I plan on using the headphone jack to an amplified audio.
OK cool, let us know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
I have made progress with the Hooey-Doo Farms Rooster Booster

So far this is my shopping list of what I have collected.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JCYST96?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K46TTHX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PJKL2GW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X287BSX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
Amazon.com: 10 Pairs DC Power Pigtail Cable, 12V 5A 2.1mm x 5.5 mm Male & Female Connectors for CCTV Security Camera and Lighting Power Adapter : Electronics
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SL5HBZ9?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
25 FT 12 Gauge Speaker Wire Cable Car Home Audio 25' Black & Red Zip Cable 685650089713 | eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/112486453168
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202320465929?var=502296922129

I had a broken one gallon air compressor that I used for the secondary air supply. I have 25' of hybrid silicone and rubber compressor hose.

Next I need to design a shooter assembly and stand for the game. I'm thinking PVC.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts