Haunt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an idea for a toxic barrel type prop and I am in need of bright GREEN lighting to put at the bottom, preferably LED and if possible battery powered. The barrel will obviously be filled with water, so I need to know if anyone knows a good solution on the cheap?

I was thinking maybe rope lights, because they are incased in the plastic stuff, but I'm not 100% sure if they'll hold up underwater. Doe anyone know?

Thank you in advance!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cut clear fiberglass the size of the bottom of your barrel. Silicon glue it in place above your lights to create a see-thru false bottom. Should work like a charm in theory.

·
Registered
380 Posts
What about something like a glass or plastic peanut butter jar, or something similar. Put the battery and LEDs in it, then put it on the bottom of barrel. Upside down, with the lid of the jar on the bottom...or laying on its side. You'd have to defeat the buoyancy of the jar by either gluing, screwing the lid to bottom. If screwed down, be sure to use caulk on the screwheads before screwing them in, then again on the heads after. You could also strap it to the bottom by securing the straps to the barrel bottom.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like both those ideas a lot, and I may just do something like that. But I need a lot of light at the bottom, like as much as a floodlight produces. Is anyone aware of an inexpensive submersible floodlights, such as one would find at the bottom of an artificial pond?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That might be perfect! A little on the pricey side, but almost exactly what I need! Thank you! :)

·
Super Moderator
64,104 Posts
Peachy:) Also, if there's a Harbor Freight in your area, check to see if it has any pond lights hanging around. We picked up a light with multiple filters a couple years ago there. Don't remember what we paid, but it wasn't expensive.

·
Volat cum ea suas alas.
12,853 Posts
Tis the season for floating pool lights on clearance...I'd def invest in pond or pool lights & not hope to make something on your own that won't zap you. The other option is to make the water a bit cloudy and use dispose able light sticks taped to the bottom of the barrel.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
You might also check out pet supply stores too. Some of the bigger aquariums have light setups that are submersed. Pool supply stores or sections also tend to be selling off that stuff at this time of year.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all, but I think I found my perfect solution: waterproof LED stips, pre wired. All I have to do is find a power source and I'm golden! :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Tis the season for floating pool lights on clearance...I'd def invest in pond or pool lights & not hope to make something on your own that won't zap you. The other option is to make the water a bit cloudy and use dispose able light sticks taped to the bottom of the barrel.
I bought the same ones for $14.99 from Harbor Freight. I've used them for two years now with no issues.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Water Proof Flexable Glowing Sheet

I've got some small flat flexable waterproof sheet lights.
Only problem is right now they're 120v powered or you need an inverter battery pack.
Our inverter pack on the site right now is kind of expensive but were working on a smaller one that can still power a few sheets.
Were also workign on getting bigger sheets as well but the ammount of frequency it takes to power them is really putting my electronics engineering skills to the test.
I know you everyones been interested in tron type technology for costumes and glow wire is always cool but flat sheets that can trimmed and cut or even stencled would prove benifical if I can just get inverter packs or power packs made up that are smaller in size and battery operated.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts