Haunt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! We are planning a large carved and painted styrofoam dragon and cannot think of a covering and weatherproofing material that will not crack, add structural support to the figure without adding too much weight or melt the styrofoam.

The inner structure is PVC. The figure is fleshed out with styrofoam. We need to add a skin over the styrofoam that is rigid, light and won't melt the styrofoam.

Can anyone give any suggestions based on a similar project?

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is the product you want. I will tell you though, it does not go on quite as explained. The material is thinner than I thought it should be, at least for spraying. I used a brush, and had to put it on very thin, or else it would run. To get something in the neighborhood of .035 mils. I would guess around 6 -8 coats the way I did it. If you get it thick enough, I'm sure it would work pretty well. They sell a sample kit for I think $35. Two quart kit. I might be wrong. I also used their primer. Anyway..... take a look.

http://www.industrialpolymers.com/product-list/styrospray-product-list/styrospray/

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've heard very good things about Aqua resin. It's non-toxic, which is a plus, and often used for outdoor display figures at amusement parks ...

http://www.aquaresin.com/

It's on my list to try, but I haven't gotten to a project that requires it yet.

-- b

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called this company. Great suggestion Thank YOU! They have a great product but also had lots of suggestions about getting materials, techniques and etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry this is months after the initial discussion but I just joined. You might use whatever color paint you want (exterior latex) and add patching cement to it. It will add structural stability and a semi rough texture to your dragon. It will cost a bunch less than specific material made only for this purpose. Just a thought, hope I'm not too late!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts