Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember when Haunt Forum was the place to be. Had posts non stop year round. What happened? I know iv been away for a while living life (still making props for my yard) but damn. Looks like a zombie apocalypse. Anyone left from the good Ole days?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Not 100% for sure either. There were definitely more posts in the past. It 'seems like' the other forum got the visual make-over / update first and that may have drawn some people there. Of course once you start getting a 'critical mass' then people see one forum as 'dead' and the other 'live', so they continue to join the 'live' forum.

I'm with you, Sblanck - I liked the 'old timey' look of the old forum here. The new layout, to me, has certain elements that are cool - banner artwork, for one - but the overall look just isn't 'Halloweenie' especially with the glaring white pages and modern fonts. Struck enough of a nerve, I had to make a Stylus websheet to correct it.

I wanted to get the search bar off the cool Halloween banner, bring back the more 'old timey' Times New Roman font, bring some Halloween color to the text with the orange/teal/black/white theme...and of course, dark theme for the overall site! Still not ideal - and I'm no graphics artist, but about as much as I can hack through and change on the 'receiving end' lol! I do miss those flickering pumpkins an do so wish the banner could be animated with some flickering and fog continually rolling through the grave yard!

Light Black Font Biome Screenshot

·
Registered
449 Posts
Think I joined midway in 2014 and this place used to be hopping. This was the place to come to for technical and prop stuff, the other forum was more general.

Since most at least a lot of us are members of both sites. most just post over at the other one instead of doing it twice. I know I have thought of it that way. Think that is why you also get that "Any plans to merge with Halloween Forum?" I get why we don't and have gone through this with another forum genre.

People just need to post more here, I wish I had time to do more and post about items but with work and life and seems like lots of crap always going on, I don't have much time for builds wish I did. Lots of ideas in head and at work just not the time.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I'm still here too. Every once in a while, I'll troll the other site, but my heart is still with Haunt Forum. This is where I got my start with building props, attending Makes & Takes - even though they were in another state, making friends, having lots of fun and learning a great deal from other haunters. It's very sad when I hear people like Halstaff passing. They inspired me.

The pandemic put a damper on EVERYTHING, including Halloween. On a positive note, I still decorate outside every year and make new props. Neighbors always ask if I've made "anything new" each year (no pressure, lol!). I hope the people I've interacted with on this site are still "happy halloweenists" and continue to create a fun holiday for friends and family.

Stay safe everyone. Keep on HAUNTING! 🎃👻👿

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is something that I've observed for a while now, but actually doing your own work for Halloween decorations seems like a thing of the past. Most people just want to go buy cheap Chinese crap from Spirit (and then complain when it doesn't work) rather than putting in the effort to come up with something original on their own. Over on the "other site", mostly it's about what you're buying, not about what you're doing. There's very little originality these days. It used to be "how do I make X?" Now it's "how do I find Y to buy?"

No thanks.

·
Registered
451 Posts
This is something that I've observed for a while now, but actually doing your own work for Halloween decorations seems like a thing of the past. Most people just want to go buy cheap Chinese crap from Spirit (and then complain when it doesn't work) rather than putting in the effort to come up with something original on their own. Over on the "other site", mostly it's about what you're buying, not about what you're doing. There's very little originality these days. It used to be "how do I make X?" Now it's "how do I find Y to buy?"

No thanks.
So many folks ask me where I bought my stuff. I built everything with my own hands, except the skellies. Everyone is shocked that its all custom and handmade. I guess wood, metal, and other industrial arts classes have been removed from the elective curriculum in schools? Oh and drafting as well. Have to know how to sketch and create plans you can build these props from.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So many folks ask me where I bought my stuff. I built everything with my own hands, except the skellies. Everyone is shocked that its all custom and handmade. I guess wood, metal, and other industrial arts classes have been removed from the elective curriculum in schools? Oh and drafting as well. Have to know how to sketch and create plans you can build these props from.
Same here. I don't buy anything but parts (and skellies), otherwise, I make all of my own and wouldn't do it any other way. All of the other houses in the neighborhood, and there aren't a lot, that do anything at all for Halloween, it's all just inflatables and crap from local stores. Nobody really cares about craftsmanship anymore. What's the point?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I check in year round every couple of weeks, but yeah, there's not much action. I also liked the old look and layout. I only recently joined the other site and that was some to help someone with a question. If I post anything I make in the future it will only be to this site, even though they have the same owners.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Still here also just not posting much. Major life drama ( a death, moving, and now the pandemic) pretty much slowed up and yard work Ive always done. Spent this year working extra help at my local spirit store. Ended up being "the prop guy" lol. Sent a lot of folks here to the site for info and prop help.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm still here too. Every once in a while, I'll troll the other site, but my heart is still with Haunt Forum. This is where I got my start with building props, attending Makes & Takes - even though they were in another state, making friends, having lots of fun and learning a great deal from other haunters. It's very sad when I hear people like Halstaff passing. They inspired me.

The pandemic put a damper on EVERYTHING, including Halloween. On a positive note, I still decorate outside every year and make new props. Neighbors always ask if I've made "anything new" each year (no pressure, lol!). I hope the people I've interacted with on this site are still "happy halloweenists" and continue to create a fun holiday for friends and family.

Stay safe everyone. Keep on HAUNTING! 🎃👻👿
Do you think we'll ever get those make n takes going again? It's been so long. I'm married with young kids now but I'd still love to do it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts