Haunt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
I love building my own stuff, but I am also always drooling over the stuff that is commercially available. No shame from me if someone buys their props versus building them. It's all about sharing our love for Halloween and haunting!

· Registered
96 Posts
People can do what they want, of course, it's their time and their money, but when every house has a 12" skeleton or the same props and the same inflatables, what's the point? If nothing you do stands out, why bother?
In my neighborhood, there are only a few houses that even bother to put up the most basic stuff. I'm the only one in a few blocks who does anything and the only custom prop guy anywhere near me. There's one big house a half mile or so from me that puts out a huge display of commercial stuff. It's pretty well done I might add. I guess if I had the money, I'd probably pay for some stuff to be custom made, but I would still build my own. I love this stuff!

· Registered
96 Posts
The saddest part for me is the lack of ToTs. I am aware of the "trunk or treat" things that have become so prevalent and popular. I'm thinking of buying a hearse and doing a whole display in the back. Have a real casket and a corpse prop where the kids have to reach inside for their treat.

· Registered
96 Posts
Agreed, that's really why I'm not decorating anymore. Last year was my last year. We get less than 20 ToTs and they're getting older and ruder and I see no reason to go through the expense and effort for people who are only after candy. They have tunnel vision. It used to be, for weeks before, people would come by and look at the display and take pictures and they'd catch me in the yard and ask if I was putting things up again this year and on Halloween, people would come back a couple of times with friends so they'd get scared. Today... nothing. Nobody cares, most houses have stopped making an effort and most aren't giving out candy regardless. It's a bunch of cars driving around looking for lights, a bunch of kids jump out, grab candy as fast as they can and drive away again.

It's just not worth my time anymore so I'm not doing it. It was fun while it lasted.
I really do understand.

Two years ago I had a lady stop her car in front of my house and yelling from her car asking, "You givin' away free candy!?" Ten minutes later she returned with a car load of kids, who at least were wearing some semblance of costume.

Last year I had four kids come to my house. My roommate's girlfriend's two kids and their two friends. They were really impressed with my display, but still jacked my candy bowl when my back was turned.

One year, I had one sole ToT. Well, technically there were three, but his parents brought him over because he was less than a year old.

Anywho... I understand.

But...

I don't do it for anyone but myself. I'd really miss it, should I not put out something.

I hope you reconsider, and do something just for you.

Happy Haunting!

· Registered
96 Posts
Yeah, I agree. I understand the desire for trunk or treat from a safety standpoint, but it makes me sad. The most ToTs I've gotten was about 200, and the least was 45 the year it snowed Halloween morning. Not sure why that kept kids away, but it made for some really cool pics though and a TON of leftover candy 🤣...
View attachment 22415
My record in this house is maybe a dozen. I live in the
Yeah, I agree. I understand the desire for trunk or treat from a safety standpoint, but it makes me sad. The most ToTs I've gotten was about 200, and the least was 45 the year it snowed Halloween morning. Not sure why that kept kids away, but it made for some really cool pics though and a TON of leftover candy 🤣...
View attachment 22415
My record in this house is maybe twelve. Sad, I know. I live in the 'hood. Adjacent to a more affluent neighborhood called Ardmore. A.k.a. the neighborhood that gives out full size candy bars.

It hasn't happened... Yet. But I always hold a bit of fear that my display will be vandalized or the props stolen.

I used to have a vanity plate on my truck that read: Z0MB13, and it was stolen a week before Halloween a few years ago.

Anyway, I don't usually have to buy a lot of candy which is a good thing. 🤣

· Registered
96 Posts
Yikes! 12 ToT on the high end is a rough. Sorry about that. I know you decorate for yourself as I do, but I know I'd be a little disappointed if no one else really saw my display at all. I mean, that's part of the point of decorating outside instead of just inside.

By chance, I found another way of possibly increasing traffic to see my display. When searching home haunts in the area to go see myself, I came across a website that lists home haunts for parents who want to take their kids to see people's decorations. I submitted my address to the website and it's listed there now. I don't know if it will increase traffic by 1 person, or 100. I don't see how it could hurt though. 😁 Maybe you could find something online that would allow you to do the same? Maybe?

That license plate is pretty excellent! Although I wouldn't steal it, I can see why somebody less than honest would want it. 😁
I'm thinking about posting on nextdoor for that reason. However, I know thieves scan nextdoor to see who's keeping their eyes peeled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts