Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What toys from your kids have you turned into props and what did you turn it into?

I took my daughters 'wuv love' toy apart, which was driving me crazy, to use the animated eyes in a rubber mask. BTW I did get her permission on that one.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Now,THIS is what I like to do. I've pulled motors out of everything. Even hacked toys. I took a 'crawling baby Goofy' and ripped his head off and replaced it with a skull. Really creepy when it crawls. There are a lot of 'Elmo' hacks out there as well.

What else did you people come up with?

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Elmo hacks? Really? Post some!

Right now I'm using talking horse head sticks (don't know what they're called) and pulled out the motors to make moving skull jaws. :)

I'm into using lots of toy stuff.

·
She looks so normal
21,275 Posts
I found an annimated Christmas Elmo at Good Will. Replaced Elmo's head with a skull and his presents with a shrunken head and a cleaver. Turned out great. Don't have a picture and it's packed away, but I'll get a picture this fall.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Remote control wooden dinosaur kit. My son and I hacked the body of the wooden frame and have hopes to transform it into a remote control rat using a wire frame covered in dryer lint clay and then painted. Hopefully this summer we will be able to get the project in gear.

·
Registered
453 Posts
My daughter just got the Tickle Me Elmo for her birthday. My wife knows I'm salivating for that thing once she (my daughter) no longer has interest in the little red monster. My wife has warned me not to even think about turning Elmo into a prop until my daughter is done with it. But each time the kid plays with him, I can't help but grin at the possibilities. I can't wait for the day I get to dissect Elmo.

·
In Remembrance
7,646 Posts
Sooooo, when you buy toys for the kids do you only get those with good prop hack possibilities ?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No but we will now!

I just took all the fast food toys that have l.e.d.'s from the bottom of the toy box and removed the led bulb's for simple skull eye's, some of them have little pc boards connected and they flash. A little modification and they will flash on que!

·
In Remembrance
7,646 Posts
Poor kids. I can see it now, Geee Susie dont you want the dolly that blinks its eyes and moves it's arms just like a real zombie, I mean baby.
And then, No Susie I have no idea where your dolly is, so how do you like my new zombie prop. LOL.

·
Bataholic
2,725 Posts
Grrr... while reading this I just realized that I may have thrown out a couple of the fast food toys that had light up eyes before joining around this time last year.... Ohhhh the horror...
From now on, no more "un-hackable" toys for my son! hehehe, now, to run to the goodwill, and Savers.... Thanks ya'll!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
What absolutely wonderful ideas!! Other than hacking the singing x-mas tree and wire deers, I never even thought about all the toys just laying around down in the basement just waiting to be re born! Oh look out kiddos, mommy's going on a hunt!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just spring cleaned the kids play room and the treasures I found! Now I have enough toys to make a creepy kids room scene for the haunt.
The best find is a baby doll I'm going to corpse and have it jump out of a 1940's style stroller that I just got my hands on.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I've taken some happy meal toy dolls and turned them into witches and zombies for the invitations this year. I've also scoured yard sales and flea markets for the small "skipper" type dolls to hack up for the invitations. When the church had their rummage sale, I loaded up on an entire trash bag full of dolls, which I have transformed for the nursery scene. One is now dressed as a baby vampire, one is wearing an infants halloween costume and I've painted him to match the costume, one has an extra set of arms so it looks like an ant (it was supposed to be a spider but there was no room for the extra set of arms LOL) and one is now covered with feathers, face painted black, lips painted bright orange, and is sitting in a bird cage! I'll post pics when the computer is back up and running.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
at my campground we look in the trash and I found an old creepy crying clown marionette and I have a moving santa (which i put on top of a golf cart along with extra tombstones to make an ultimate cart, and it fell off but at least it's in one piece)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Better Think Twice

I took my daughter's Easy Bake Oven and replaced the regular baking bulb with an eerie red flicker bulb and jammed a burnt dolls arm in the mouth of the oven. It looks like Hell. Now my daughter won't speak to me. I guess I should ask her next time. :mad:

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Good ideas guys...thats funny octoberist...
no kids here anymore so no toys wahhhh

·
Registered
53 Posts
I bought a bunch of barbies and bratz dolls from my local DIY Halloween store (the Salvation army) and made great zombie fairies for the entrance to my haunted forest.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts