Haunt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to ahere one of those hard resin garden statues to a piece of plywood. The resin piece, a dragon's head, weighs about 10 lbs and will hang over a doorway that TOT's pass under, so the adhesive has to be very strong. I'm thinking some type of epoxy but wondered if you had any luck with a particular product.
TIA

·
Registered
511 Posts
jdubbya said:
I need to ahere one of those hard resin garden statues to a piece of plywood. The resin piece, a dragon's head, weighs about 10 lbs and will hang over a doorway that TOT's pass under, so the adhesive has to be very strong. I'm thinking some type of epoxy but wondered if you had any luck with a particular product.
TIA
Try Gorilla Glue. It works very well.

·
Banned
764 Posts
When i think very strong i think of a metal adhesive. Some body shops and hobbyist use this stuff when cant weld. I saw on tv yesterday has a tensile strengh of 3300 pounds i dont know if can be used on wood and other products but might be worth looking into. Has dry time for 30 seconds to 1 hour. Dont quote me on the 3300 pounds but im pretty sure thats what they said.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Could you build a box for the head to set in, that would take some of the weight off of whatever adhesive you use. You might try to drill and put some bolts in the back, using epoxy, then bolt it to your board.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Yes i think using the screws first hand is your best bet ..even better try to find the kind that go in and then have those wings that open on the inside and then bolt it to the wood with glue also.
Then using heavy duty bolts to hang on wall.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Go to the hardware store and buy some "JB Weld". I'ts like a two part epoxy that you mix together, but is metallic-colored. This stuff is mega-strong and should definitely hold what you've described.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies. I'll be experimenting with some stuff.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Gorilla Glue works incredibly well with practically any variety of mixed surfaces. Also great with Styrofoam. Only drawback is that it must be clamped or otherwise secured til dry, and it also expands, so use less than you think you need. Use gloves and wear old clothes as it stains clothing and takes days to get off your hands.

·
Registered
820 Posts
but the gorilla brand is about 4 times the price of any other. something called polyurethane glue will be soooo much cheaper

1 - 15 of 15 Posts