Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering when you usually wrap things up and start your teardown? Or do you party all night and then just go to bed?? I'm assuming most of you bring in your most beloved props Halloween night...true?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Good Question Ghostie...I hold off until people make me start tearing down that night.... I always say... theres one more coming... one more...

My friends for the past 2 years have been coming over after the rushes are done at their places and I make tea... I keep the door open then at about 11 pmish I start to bring in my "stuff" and pile it in my Living room.

I leave my tombstones and Reaper out... but that stuff I have out for a month in advance anyway. Its just the loose stuff I take in.

This year will be a little different for me as I will have some scaractors and a "haunted walk" around my yard. I would love to hear the rest of the responses to this..

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
The last TOTer usually comes through between 10:30 to 11:30, then I usually spend some time in the haunt alone around midnight. After that, it's take in the most valuable or easily stolen items and then back inside for some horror flicks.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
That's because Vlad IS kinda wierd....but that's besides the point! :D There is a 9:00 PM curfew here and we stay open till around 10:00, just for any of those that want to stop by as a group on their way home. I don't start tearing down until a day or two after Halloween. All my stuff is out for a month or so with the exception of 1 prop, so a few more days isn't gonna matter. Besides....I HATE the tearing down and finding a place to put it all part.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I do my switch November 1. Some people think Im crazy after all that work but by then its anticlimatic and Im ready for Christmas decorating - Griswolds christmas ring a bell.

I too Vlad, spend some time alone with my haunt. Walking around, taking it all in.... Taking pictures... mmmmm

I absolutly do not start dismantelling until I dont see 1 T & T on the blocks around my house.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like to have everything down by November first too. We recently moved to a nicer neighborhood and we're the only ones who decorate (putzes), so I figure it's best to clean it up and get it back to normal as soon as possible. Besides, there's a ton of raking to do and the graveyard gets in the way! A pet pieve of mine is when people leave props/dec's out way past the season...like Christmas wreaths out until may, so I like to clean it up early and if anyone wishes they had seen the display and missed it, they'll have to wait for next year! Hopefully we can inspire some others around here to join in...A little friendly competition is a good thing~

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Our TOT hours are from 6-8. I keep the fog pumping and soundtracks going until at least 10. We have a lot of after hours visitors (co-workers, kids from the college my wife works at, friends who don't live close enough to TOT but want to see the display.) They stop by to hang out awhile, have a cold one and some snacks. I too will take some time to soak it in before it gets too late and spend time alone outside looking at things, making notes on what to move, what else might look good next year, etc.. As much as I enjoy the TOT hours, the afterglow ain't bad either. I normally don't get back inside until close to midnight, and will also stay up way late watching horror flicks. Last thing I do before hitting the sack is take a last look at the jack o lanterns, that normally burn into the wee hours. Now I'm getting all misty:(

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
you know... I never really kno what time we start tearing down. usually i wake up hungover out on the lawn and everythgin's already cleaned up. :D

j/k

We usually wait till we see the rest of the neighborhood shutting down/cleaning up. Since we're the coolest, we wait so that we're the last house standing.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
jdubbya said:
Last thing I do before hitting the sack is take a last look at the jack o lanterns, that normally burn into the wee hours. (
I do that too. I usually put a piller candle in my jacks or 5 - 6 tealights and replace them once or twice throughout the night.

I never ever blow out my jacks - superstition of mine I think. I let the go out on their own.

To date I have not had a problem with my Jacks being thrown onto the street. I have, however, seen others.

·
Hillbilly Wrangler
3,472 Posts
I havent done an outside thing before. This is my first year doing a cemetary. Im excited. My plans are to take almost everything in that night only because of the money i spent on the tombstones. I can make more fence, but i cant explain to my husband that the tombstone i got last year for that "great deal" really it was super expensive...oops. LOL, yeah that wont work out. I do leave out my skeleton all year in my yard. I decorate him up for the different holidays. i saw somebody on here did one with the skelly riding a reindeer, im so doing that this year...So thanks to whoever that was. I just ususally have the costume, but im making him ride rudy this year. I took my village down in mid November. I liked it, it took my 2 months to put up, i needed the time with it. LOL

·
I'm bringing sexy back
7,767 Posts
I do the same thing Vlad does. For me, I start to decorate October 1st until the 31st. It's like you're soo busy all day setting up and tweaking in things that after putting all the finishing touches and entertaining all day, I like to sit outside with my yardhaunt before I take it down. It's kinda like your own quality time with "the fruits of your labor". I just sit outside with my drink and reflect on the day's events and just look at my haunt and to be around my props.

Our town's TOTs curfew is at 6:30 which I don't care - if I have candy and they knock on the door - I treat them as if it was 3 in the afternoon. Usually people and TOTs are walking back home so I have open house until the last person leaves - usually around 9 o'clock on a weekday and later when Halloween is on a weekend.

I take Nov. 1st off from work so on Halloween night I usually start bring in the props that I don't want stolen in around 11-12 that night. I leave out some stuff until until the next day (tombstones, lights, little things) and in the morning (Nov. 1st) I go out and clean up but I do leave the autuminal stuff (cornstalks, hay) out for display for Thanksgiving. After I bring in my precious props on Halloween night, I sit in my Halloween pjs with a big bowl of popcorn and watch horror films to top off the night. I usually rent a new horror movie that I haven't previously seen. :jol:

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I usually setup by Oct 1st and strat tearing down Nov 1st. I don't have to worry about anything getting stolen or vandalized since I'm in a sleepy little town. I am also usually up into the next morning so as long as the TOT's come I will give them treats.

·
Registered
137 Posts
We tear down all that night. The tot's last until about 8:30. I have a professional kareoke system that is assembled in the garage that provides the audio tracks and vocals that needs to be torn down as well. We usually get a fire pit going on the driveway and we hang out with the neighbors until about 10:30. I also have a life-size palm tree (18ft) that I assemble and take down the same night. Pirates of the Carribean theme.

·
Old Bat
2,823 Posts
We don't tear down until the weekend after Halloween. It's hard for me to take off work the next day, and I put up too much stuff to take down in one night. Luckily our neighborhood is pretty quiet, and I do have a fence around the yard that discourages my props from wandering away. It's nice to have it all up for a few more nights, and people still drive by to look.

·
DeceptiProp
5,851 Posts
I put my stuff up on Oct 1st and run to 31st. By the last TOT, I am already out there tearing the FCG apart. Slowing, I start tearing things apart to get ready for my christmas Display.

·
Registered
375 Posts
When do I call it a night LOL...HUmm well for me I start decorating the end of Sept. so my things are out over a month. On Halloween night usually it dies down by 10:00 and my last volunteer goes home. One year my soon to be EX came out like at 9:30pm and said Im sorry dear but I thinks its over and he blew out all my candles. It broke my heart. So when the bum went back inside I relite them and went and stood in the front yard hopeing more totters would come. Ok so they didnt come LOL. Anyway like someone mentioned I too will start taking pics after everyone is gone. Its like my closure on my haunt. Its like coming down slowly off my high. So I will set things up cool and take bunches of pics as you can see here starting on page 8 and going through the rest of the pages. You will notice I even did a bunch on Nov 1st. I will then taer everything down during the first few days of Nov. I mean actually just clearing out the front yard and getting all the decorations/props thrown into the garage and inside the house so the neighbors and passerbys dont have to look at it anymore. LOL Then By the second week of Nov its time to get the Christmas yard planned out and see what Halloween props i need to repaint for that LOL.
Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket this is page 8 and keep looking and you will see my cool pics i took after halloween LOL.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
most of my stuff is out the first week of october. the only thing that is not out is the speakers and the FCG and fog machine. everything comes down and is packed away Nov 1st

1 - 20 of 56 Posts