Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How soon do people start putting up Halloween decorations?

I always do Christmas lights but this is my first year doing anything for Halloween. I have some basic props in mind ... No shooting cannons or flying spiders yet for 2012.

·
Muddled Moderator
28,211 Posts
The earlier you put decorations out, the more you have to worry about damage from weather or vandalism. How weather proof are your props and decorations. Most of our stuff goes out on the day of Halloween. There are forum members who have decorations up in August. Most setup at various times in October.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I start the graveyard in the beginning of October. The rest goes out a week later or so. My props won't be damaged by rain, but the wind usually does a fair bit of damage.

·
Pumpkin Hill Gravekeeper
1,536 Posts
I also start my graveyard the first weekend in October. By the third weekend I have pretty much everything out and the lighting in place. Although any Haunter will tell you that we tweak until nightfall of the 31st. My props are pretty hardy so, short of a lightning bolt, are weatherproof. I build them tough.

·
Slowly Losing My Mind
2,820 Posts
Unfortunately I set up most things the day of and tare everything down Halloween night. It stinks that way but its reassuring to know that I won't have something stolen, vandalized or weather damaged.

·
Official HF Jerk v1.0
3,104 Posts
At my old house, I started setup around the first week of September, and would still be putting things together on Halloween day. My lighting and sound didn't go up until the day before or the day of, because I didn't want weather damage, vandalism or thievery to play a part in my Halloween.

At this house, my wife has made it quite plain that if I start setting up before the 15th of October, she will be a (black) widow. So I'm probably not going to set up too early.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I need that first chill of fall to really get in the mood. Usually we have summer heat well into September if not the first week of October, then a big storm comes through and temps never quite recover.

So maybe sit out a few pumpkins from the early harvest in late Sept/early Oct. Usually make it a point to get the window display up and lit a few weeks before the big day, so passers-by know that Halloween is celebrated here. Then I build up or at least stage props to be ready to go out depending on weather.

The best is when Halloween is on a Saturday as I have all day / free day off work to set up stuff. Worst is the weekdays as I rush home, or take off a bit early and scramble to set things up.

·
Necro Rising
2,117 Posts
I'm with Lunatic. I build all summer long, but mine go up Halloween morning and come down Halloween night. It's a lot of work and stress, but I've put too much blood, sweat and blood into my props to have them damaged by the weather or neighborhood idiots. Although I do change out the front house light to a red bulb one week before. :)

·
User Title Already Taken
2,237 Posts
Well, I am glad I have a safe neighborhood and for the past 2 years have not had anything vandalized or stolen. (knock on wood) I set the scene the last week in September with a Tombstone in the front yard that says Coming Soon...

The 30th of September, being a Sunday will be my fence set up day to box in the yard and protect things. Stones go in after that, then lighting, etc. Bigger props come in sometime in Mid October and the side yard scene that I change every year will be done by October 20th Hopefully. November 3rd everything is down and put away.

It depends on your neighborhood I guess and what you expect to happen.

Good luck on deciding

·
IN MEMORIAM - A Wee Bit Wicked....
8,670 Posts
:jol: I start 'staging' my props the end of September, postioning them for the hanging and posing in the garage so I will have easy access. Then depending on when October 1st is I start putting my stuff out. I work mostly on the weekends though, and I have help from family and friends. I have been lucky and I have only had a few things messed with and that usually happens on Halloween night. In 2010 I actually had a 'gift' of 6 large spiders left on my front porch a couple of days after Halloween...I incorporated them into my decorations last year. I figure the earlier I get it up the more enjoyment I get from it. The graveyard usually goes up just a few days before Halloween but I think since I added a fence last year, I may put it up earlier this year.

·
In Remembrance
7,646 Posts
My indoor stuff will go up in September some time and the outdoor stuff will start the first week of Oct. Luckly I havent had a vandalizing or stolen problem. One year I left the tombstones up all winter. It looked kinda peaceful .

·
H.B.I.C.
9,101 Posts
I always have a week's vacation the last week of September and start to set up then. Like some others here, I'm always tweaking things right through Halloween night. I have alot of walkers on my street and they start really coming around more in Sept with small talk, like "you should be getting your stuff out soon, huh?" There is absolutely no way I could set everything up in one day. Way too much stuff and plus, I want to enjoy it!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I usually start setting up Oct. 1st, and the process usually takes around a week. Every year, I swear we'll get it all set up in a couple days, but it never happens. I hang a sign that says, "Almost finished, see you soon..." over our path entrance while set-up is in progress. We have had trouble with theft and vandalism once in the past, so we put motion lights and a basic alarm system into place. I'm neurotic about building everything to withstand our Michigan weather, so we haven't had too much trouble with that.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I do agree that this question get asked almost every year. I think a lot of what your asking depends on what type of neighborhood you live in. If you don't have problems with theft and vandalism then you can put out your display several weeks before Halloween. If, like a lot of people you live where people think that whatever you have is theirs to destroy or take, then you want to wait and put your Halloween out at a later date.

It also depends on how much you have to set up and how many helpers you have when you do. People who have a large haunt start setting up much earlier in the month sometimes in the last week of September. It can take several tries before you get it down. Weather plays a big part when setting up your display. If you live in a high wind area during October then you may want to wait till a few days before to set up. That way your not running out everyday to reset the haunt.

I also agree that you need to put some type of Halloween decor out or in your window to let people know that you celebrate the season. It could be whole pumpkins on the steps, or something hanging in you windows. Whatever it is just make sure you have it on display. I myself live in a very good and well established neighborhood, which is landlocked. The last development was in the early 60's which I live in. I set my display up at the beginning of October and finish sometime by the second week. I think I've only had one item stolen in the 18 years that I have lived in my area and that was during Christmastime.

The other thing you could do is ask some of your neighbors when they decorate (if they do) and judge by that when to put out your haunt. Either way no matter when you set up your decor, people and kids will love it. So you've come to the right place for ideas, so start your planning now!!!!

Happy Haunting! :jol:

·
Registered
159 Posts
the plan this year is to assemble everything in the garage and set up most of it 2 weeks before Halloween. Things like my FGC will go up and be turned on them. I will put out the plain, simple tombstones early, but the more complex elements will only be out the Friday before Halloween. I pack it away Nov. 1st.

·
Headless & Haunting
4,767 Posts
At my old house, I started setup around the first week of September, and would still be putting things together on Halloween day. My lighting and sound didn't go up until the day before or the day of, because I didn't want weather damage, vandalism or thievery to play a part in my Halloween.

At this house, my wife has made it quite plain that if I start setting up before the 15th of October, she will be a (black) widow. So I'm probably not going to set up too early.
LOL well I do love a man who knows his place.......... LOL

I do LOVE seeing those photos - they bring a smile to my face every time.

I'm one of the lucky ones who lives out in the middle of nowhere and so nothing is likely to go missing and most of my props will be staged in a completely enclosed shed under cover so really I can and will start setting up just as soon as I have stuff ready. I do need to get some of the gates repaired though so will have to wait until that is done. Had a friend out today to take a look at them so he will start work on that next month.

·
Panic time is here!
3,834 Posts
I think first day of October is the earliest I would like to start seeing some decorations on houses. As far as props go, depends on your neighborhood and how much stuff you have.

I kind of like the week before when people start getting ready. There seems to be a burst of Halloween in the air. It makes me smile.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts