Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the subject says it all.

I start working on the indoor stuff sometime in late September and try to have it all done by October 1st so I can spend October concentrating on the outdoor stuff.

For outdoor stuff, I start on the first weekend in October by putting out a few items. Each weekend, I put out more and more stuff to sort of tease people and give them a reason to keep stopping and looking. Then, when I'm sure there won't be any rain until Halloween, I bring out the rest of the stuff... the good stuff... the stuff that can't get rained on.

When do you start decorating?

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
It varies in our household. Last year, Hurricane Ivan sort of knocked the festive mood out of everything, so I did little in the way of decor. I'm hoping a good portion of my medical woes are over by mid or late September so I can start in that month; if not, I suppose I'll have no choice but to start at the beginning of October. Man! I can't wait! I sure hate the Summer and always look forward to Autumn rolling around, my favorite time of the year!

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I've always put out the cutesy door decorations, wind socks, etc., early in Oct. But I take off from work and put up the real display on Halloween morning. That's when all the cutesy stuff comes down, lol. This year I'll be doing my massive front hedge with the purple and orange light strands in early to mid Oct..I might even start flying the axeworthy all month also, that's way out of the reach of vandals and thieves.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I put up the basic grave yard the last night in September here. Then the fun stuff gets added bit by bit all month long. We host a huge party for the kids (65+ last year) the week before Halloween. That is the first time everything is set into motion for the season, kind of our sneak preveiw / use the kids as test subjects night. People tend not to mess with our stuff , probably has something to do with the gravestone marking the place of the last person to touch it :D !

·
Registered
9 Posts
My heart goes out to you Vlad, most if the teenagers on my street have grown up waiting to see my Halloween.They are kind of protective of the whole thing. We have kids that come home from college for our Halloween party still. One brings her kids back to attend. Halloween is a neighborhood affair. The old ladies bake cookies and come to see the kids, the old guys are always around to push buttons on props and see what would make them run better. Parent's come to socialize and just let their kids have a good old fashion Halloween. I guess that is what has kept me safe all these years.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Around the first weekend in October I set up the graveyard and start adding piece by piece until Halloween and then it's the whole 9 yards of props...The inside gets decorated fairly early - it keeps me in the Halloween spirit...Can't wait to start setting up this year!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
This year I actually have a house with a great porch and yard to decorate, so I will start in late September so I have plenty of time to get everything set the way I want it :D I love Halloween and Autumn, also have to get all plans in order for a Halloween Party ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Been buying and making alot of new stuff this year and am already putting the inside stuff in place....would probably freak out any nosey neighbors peeking in, but I'm aiming for a big party this year before Halloween and like to obsess over it as much as possible...makes my other half nuts...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Last year I set up the last week of Sept.Yeah...my neighbors thought I was looney.But I dont care....they werent the nicest of people.This year,I would like to have things set up around the 1st week of Oct.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I noticed alot of people say their neighbors think and look at them like they are looney. Lol I dont know why, but here nobody really pays attention. One of my neighbor's is elderly and she don't pay attention to anything, and my other neighbor's do the same as me. I wish the whole neighborhood would begin around October 1st, but I guess I can't be THAT lucky lol.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Unless our other halves are as in to this as we are, I think we all drive them nuts. :p
Yep... mine was right ready to divorce me last year... of course, until the night of the dance when he suddenly flipped the coin and was all gushing to anyone who would listen to him about how his wife had made everything, and wow she's so amazing... only to flip the coin again, and tell me he didnt want to see any halloween projects before June, and would prefer August. - So I went elsewhere to build. haha

Can't say I can totally blame him. I had a 6 foot creepy tree right smack in the middle of the dining room from July to October.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I see nothing wrong with a creepy tree being left out all year.

I'm going to start this year setting up last week in Sept. Rooftop items and pvc fencing first, then graves and more expensive stuff later. Some will have to wait until day of, but will have a lot of stuff out early.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I think that you start off on October 1st with the little stuff. that means that I'll put out the cemetery fence accross the front yard and put up a few of the tombstones. Meanwhile, inside the house the webbing, wall covering, candle making, and prop positioning has begun.

By week two I've got my undead army ready to invade and they are spending every night creeping out one by one.

By week three the inside is done and spooky as hell and the outside is begining to draw crouds and low whispers. The undeads LED lights are going now and the fog machine is kicking in for the stray jogger to see and wonder at while he enjoys.

Stay tuned for week four...coming soon

Trick or Treat!!!

·
Can't keep up with Roxy!
3,513 Posts
Denhaunt... candle making... tell me more, please.

Originally my plan was to have house cleaned up/out by now and start decorating September 1... kind of got pushed back. Will do front window first (won't light until beginning of October) because Halloweentown goes up against the window on top of the full size box spring. Then the plan was to go balls out on decorating, but now that I read some of these posts, I like the suspense and adding some each week concept. The inside is what I decorate most and I think I will empty out a storage tote each day or so.

Being single has it's advantages... no one tells me when I should or should not put stuff up, take it down, build it or where I should store it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts