Haunt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Hauntcast came out and was free, I listened to a few. Then I never listened to another. I didnt get much out of it. Apparently most others feel the same way. I posted this here rather than on the Hauntcast marathon to avoid being a wet blanket on the parade. There must be a reason that people, like me, are not willing to pay to listen. What will happen next year? Will this take the place of the MD Jerry Lewis Marathon? They need to run the show like a business, or a hobby, you can't do both.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just dont get why all of these venders are giving stuff away. There is more value in the donations than is being raised by the marathon. Whey dont they just have an auction to raise money. Or, better yet work on building an audience for their show.

·
The Red Death
2,258 Posts
I used to listen quite a bit before they went pay. In the end I think we can all appreciate what they were trying to do. But I'll be honest here, I wasn't really a huge fan of the format which felt more like a Halloweenified morning shock-jock show than a podcast. And the show often ran too long. I have a lot of respect for most of the members of the scream team but in the end Chris was really trying to squeeze way too much into one podcast.

In the last 6 or 7 years I've listened to a LOT of different podcasts and some of the best ones never ran past 35 minutes or so. Less is always more they say.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everything I listen too I have to share with my three daughters. They are 5 and the twins are 3. I just think they need to find their audience. I will be surprised if this resurection will last more than a year. Why so much money? I thought podcasts were cheap or free to post.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I couldn't find this thread for a while.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Even hobbies cost money, look at what we do. Yes its only a podcast but it is just like a show on a radio station. There are fees to run the website, they have to pay to go to the trade shows to advertise let alone getting themselves there and building a booth. They have to pay for the banner add you see right here on hauntforum. Royalty fees for some of the material. Equipment maintenance, some podcast equipment can be pricy, then there iS the cost of internet, usualy something bigger than just home internet service.

As farm as time. It take as much time as working a full time job, you have to write the show, book interviews, conduct interviews, coordinate with the others that contribute to your show, line up the few sponsors, make comercials for your sponsors, edit the different pack segments. And the post production editing to prepare it for uploading. Sometimes uploading it to the different services takes longer than the length of the show.

I can keep going but i hope that some may start to understand. The last 30 or so shows that hauntcast has produced had been mostly paid out of their own pockets.

In my time in the haunting world I have only listened to two hauntcast episode and I found it to have a entertainment value for what we do in this industry. So I made the jump and.bought a subscription.

However I have never produced my own podcast but I have worked in radio and television. Often time a radio show or tv show can cost thousands of dollars to produce.

Hauntcast is officialy going back.on the air however they are still a number of people away from the discounts and give aways look at it now as a big raffle.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Personally I think that the very things that make Hauntcast different from "some of the best podcasts" out there make it all the more entertaining. as far as being too long, I listen to a podcast of a local morning radio show that is nearly three full hours daily and I never get tired of listening because like Hauntcast, the secret behind the podcast's greatness is the personalities of the hosts. I hope that now that it is back, Hauntcast will be here to stay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think that if you're passionate about something (which in this case it's "haunting"), then you try to explore different avenues to entertain and express that interest. As is the case with most of us on these forums and blogs, we enjoy all aspects of Halloween, and we try to create the best time that can be had for us, and others, on our beloved holiday. All Hauntcast has ever tried to do, in my opinion, was attempt to keep people interested and excited about that blessed event that only come around once a year. And to me, I'm eternally grateful that Chris and the Scream Team were able to do it as long as they were, free of charge.

This "Hauntcast Ressurection" was set forth by the passion of a few fans, and Chris and the team jumped at the chance to be able to do the show, with a little (@ $8.00 a show per person, that's VERY small--a matinee movie can cost more) monetary incentive for all the hard work, time and effort dediicated to giving us the best show that they could each month. And just like the aspiring musicians who are passionate about their music and dream of turning their hobby into a "paying gig", and if that opportunity presents itself, well then, ANYONE would jump at the chance to do it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hauntcast really expanded my horizons in terms of home haunting and prop building and just what you can do with very little, plus, it came at a particularly difficult time in my life - Christmas 2010 was spent mostly battling a very ugly new strain of pneumonia and 100% recovery took forever...really knocked the wind out of me - and then the following April, I heard about it....I bulldozed through all episodes inside of a month and LOVED IT - learned so much and it really pushed my wife Lisa and my game up several notches, so I owe a great measure of thanks to Chris, Johnny, Shelley and Rev for really helping all around - albeit indirectly...and, yeah, I subscribed...great to have 'em back!

Why Hauntcast? More like why *not* Hauntcast!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've never quite understood the stance of "hobby vs business" when it came to the topic of resurrecting Hauntcast.

My Grandmother use to always say "it's a hobby when no one pays you for it, it's a business when someone does."

That old adage holds true as much today as it did 3 years ago when Hauntcast started broadcasting.

I think a lot of people forget that Hauntcast had advertising woven in to the show. Advertising costs money. Advertiser relationships were nurtured, agreements were signed and hopefully returns on investments were made by those who advertised. This is something that only businesses do. Hobbyists don't sell advertising.

So say what you will, but Hauntcast has been a business, unfortunately this business had to raise it's prices to stay on the air and the people who love the show have supported it, whether they are listeners or people in the haunt industry.

All that aside, the show was created out of the love of Halloween and haunting, it was inspired by the same things that bring users like you and I to forums like this. And while some may say they don't see the value in it, I've always looked at it as being able to sit down with my "friends" for a few hours while working on props and that meant something to me.

I have absolutely looked forward to each and every new episode and the debauchery it would contain, and so when I heard there was a chance that it could continue to air with a subscription, I knew what I had to do.

Don't get me wrong, my initial response to having to pay $100 upfront was not good. I may have even sent Chris a less than admirable email about it. But the more I thought about it, and the more work Chris & the team put into getting vendors to offer prizes and discounts as a part of the subscription, the easier the decision became for me.

Then I started to consider how much money I spend on Halloween decorations/props each year. If you're anything like me, you're probably spending over $100. Maybe even more. Knowing that I could get discounts from some of the industries top vendors and make my money stretch more this year was enough reason to buy in.

So there you have it. You wanted to know why and there's a handful of reasons from someone who has bought a subscription for himself, but also gifted portions of 3 other subscriptions to some listeners who were facing hard times and looked to Hauntcast to make their day a bit better.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I'll admit upfront I'm a big fan of the show. Yet as much as I like it and support it, I didn't do an all out advocacy drive because I realize $100 is a lot to ask from people. Everyone has to come to their own decision on it.

Unlike the other podcasts out there, though -- and I too have listened to almost all of them -- none was as polished, professional, and dedicated to all facets of haunting. Oh, and yes, it was funny as all hell. The rest seemed amateurish in comparison or directed at the pro haunt community. And even those seemed more just like a long (looooong) recitation of facts and figures.

When Hauntcast went pay-per-download the first time, I supported it not only by buying a subscription for myself, but I held a contest on my blog and gave away a couple and then bought one or two for friends. I know I derived a great amount of enjoyment out of each and every show. I'd have it playing in the background while building props or even blaring out of speakers into my yard while doing work out there.

The great thing about that was because I'd be concentrating on what I was building or working on I wouldn't always catch everything that was said, so I could go back and listen to the shows again and again and pick up new things I had missed the first time. Yet even now, having replayed all the shows over and over again, I can still listen to them and get enjoyment from them. Dare I say the shows are "timeless?" They definitely don't get stale even now.

When Hauntcast closed, I was extremely disappointed. I was lost there a month or two. So when the movement arose to bring back the show I was stoked because I enjoy it a lot. Was it worth $8 a month? I thought so. Considering what you're getting for that $8, it's much much more than what you were receiving when it was just $1, let alone free. And you were getting a lot more than from the other free podcasts.

But each person has to make their own choice about whether it's worth $2 a week. For example, I'll be attending NHC for free(!) because of the subscription. Knock $25(+) from that subscription price. And you can't even begin to list all the other discounts that make a subscription more than free. They're almost paying you to subscribe!

Yeah, you have to pay up front and you get it back over time, but then each month you get two shows and all the goodies that come with that. I agree it's got an uphill road ahead of it, but I'm pretty confident the quality that went into the show will be enough to convince more people to subscribe over time.

So as was mentioned above, why Hauntcast? The real question is, why not Hauntcast?!

Rich

·
She looks so normal
21,275 Posts
I want to thank the moderators for re-posting this tread. I like to be able to read several different opinions on a subject. I like that we on this forum aren't a lot of bobbleheads just nodding in agreement with each other. That we can agree to disagree. I have enjoyed Hauntcast and when they went pay per download I subscribed. And when they offered our money back I choose not to take it, because I appreciated all the work they did, and at the time I could afford it. I can't at this time, but wish them the best and love their passion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
why or why not

i just recently rediscovered hauntcast i have only been haunting my yard for about two years. listening to the past shows during my lunch break at work lets me relax and have a few laughs. but seriously some of the guests and segments have given me the inspiration and direction i needed to make my haunt much better and to me that is worth more than $100 bucks. instead of throwing money at my haunt trying to guess or divine what would work or i would like. i know that this October i am going to have a lot of home made props and an amazing scene that i already love and im not even a 25% done. i have a long way to go but with what i have learned listing to just a few shows i am gonna get a lot of scares and that makes me smile. for me the sub for hauntcast was an investment in my self. i will learn from others experiences and evolve my haunt faster than i would have ever imagined. this is why i steeped up and shelled out the cash.

·
Registered
888 Posts
The vendors are all chipping in for obvious reasons. It's free advertising. They always want to trade services for ad space instead of paying real money for the time. Most of these guys are not losing a dime on their products. So I get why the vendors have thrown their weight behind Hauntcast. It's good for business and the industry.

I like Hauntcast, but there are times I get a little fed up with them. I come to the forums, and the email lists, to get away from things. To enjoy the company of like minded people and discuss our passion. I get tired of them spamming all of the forums, email lists, and any other outlet that is available. They are more like a vendor now, and not a regular haunter. I think they should respect and follow the same rules the vendors are expected to follow. I am probably in the minority on this one, and ultimately it doesn't really matter. Once again, I love the show. Just not how they push the show at times.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am really enjoying hearing the reasons that people love the show. Feedback is crucial to the ongoing success of an entertainment venture such as this. Haunt cast needs to hear why people DON'T value the show more than they need the praise of the, apparently insufficient number, of fans willing to pay to listen. Critical sounding comments are not attacks when an apparently well made product fails. If they change nothing, then I fear for the longevity of the show. "if you keep doing what you did you will get what you got".

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Aquayne,

What is it you didn't like about the show? I agree, feedback is critical to a company's success. Was it the content? The humor?

I'm sure it's because I have a similar sense of humor as those on the show as one of the reasons I like it. Yet not everyone's tastes are the same. I also thought most of the cast was a pretty professional bunch and offered up some really good insights. For instance, Revenant's insights alone are often worth the price of admission. I'm sure he could make a successful podcast of his own because he provides such rich ideas for haunters.

Towards the end though of the original, and now in the resurrected version, listeners also gained the insights of Ed Gannon. While his views are geared towards the pro haunter, that segment was quickly becoming one of my favorites. And Allen Hopps of Stilt Beast Studios will be doing the prop segment on the show. He's already must-watch viewing for me on his YouTube channel.

So I think Hauntcast is definitely listening to what its listeners want so constructive criticism of what's missing for you (and others) might help the show over the long haul. I agree with Jaybo some of the "all Hauntcast, all the time" cheerleading that went on was a bit over the top -- gawd, you can't go onto Facebook if you've "liked" the show without being inundated -- so I'm rather thankful they've reached their subscriber goal for more than one reason. I hope it's not a Jerry Lewis marathon next year too.

Anyway, I found the content of the shows to be a quality product and I just listened for the first time to the additional "Shocktails" show they added, which features entertainment reviews by Johnny Thunder and contains the great banter between him and Chris Baker. I always thought that was one of the strongest parts of the program (YMMV). Now we get twice as much! :)

So I guess for those who enjoyed the original, they'll find they're getting double helpings of what they liked best and more. For those who weren't wowed the first time, can the new additions bring on new subscribers? Time will tell.

Rich

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds like things are great. I wonder why not enough people wanted to pay to hear it?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Though as above I said I paid, it is a lot to ask of people in todays economy, with the cost of everything skyrocketing.

But at the same time, you would be surprised at how many people that do what we do here don't even know about this forum or hauntcast or the forums or the wonderful how to information that is out there from some of our forum members. Think about it, just how many active users do you see on here at one time.

The pro haunt I worked at, now one of the people knew about any of this. Last year I returned to.haunt the old neighbourhood to find that there were now 4 other houses that go all out for tots. Not one of then had ever heard of this forum or anything else that it is tied to. I pass the word around about what we have here on a regular basis. We have so much available to us in this online world. Were would we be if hauntcast never went on the air, if sights like garage of evil never existed, if hauntforum wasn't here.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.