Haunt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Red Death
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing some research for my 2008 theme of Pirates. I really love a lot of the work I've seen done here especially with the animatronics. And I really mean no offense here because I am in awe of the work that went into them. But so far everything I've seen with pirates is more Disney-esque "Pirates of the Carribean" scary - which is just a bunch of drunk skeletons (granted real pirates were all drunk 99.9% of the time anyways) but it's not what I'm looking for.

I'm looking to do something a lot darker in nature without crossing over into gore - I don't do gore, I do down-right creepy and in 2008 I want to do down-right creepy pirates.

So on that note I'm looking for suggestions or maybe links to some reference material.

Thanks,
-TM

·
Registered
765 Posts
Nothing creepier than the pirates of penzance........ lil prancing pirates....CREEPY!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Instead of using the plain buckys, make them more zombie like by corpsing them heavily.

·
Registered
328 Posts
check out www.piratesofemerson.com/ ... its a pretty well known haunted attraction themed around pirates. I've seen some of their stuff on the HauntWorld video series and they have some video's on their site. I'd say its worth at least checking out

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Agreed about Pirates of Emerson. I took the kids there this year, and even my "tough" 12 yr old was scared out of his wits!

·
The Red Death
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds cool - I didn't see any videos on the site though and the latest pictures were from 2004. None the less looks pretty cool.

Starting to formulate a story for the theme now. Gonna give it a bit of a Lovecraftian Joseph Curwen kinda twist - ie: the captain (which will be me in costume) was an old necromancer pirate who used the undead for crew.

-TM

·
Registered
765 Posts
And now that has been handled, HIGGENS great pics of how a non disney version of pirates can be created. Pirtaes of the Emeron has the BEST actor developement I have ever witnessed! MIC is incredible.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Doing some research for my 2008 theme of Pirates. I really love a lot of the work I've seen done here especially with the animatronics. And I really mean no offense here because I am in awe of the work that went into them. But so far everything I've seen with pirates is more Disney-esque "Pirates of the Carribean" scary - which is just a bunch of drunk skeletons (granted real pirates were all drunk 99.9% of the time anyways) but it's not what I'm looking for.

I'm looking to do something a lot darker in nature without crossing over into gore - I don't do gore, I do down-right creepy and in 2008 I want to do down-right creepy pirates.

So on that note I'm looking for suggestions or maybe links to some reference material.

Thanks,
-TM
Zombies would camouflage animatronics better than bare bones. I like the idea of dark, evil zombie pirates singing Disney toons. Kudos for not doing Gore, BTW.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ya know,

In the first Pirates of the Caribean movie, the skeletal pirates were pretty sweet looking. I tried to find some pics but google failed me...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts