Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Witch-Finder of Lilburn
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before Sea Monkey ads appeared in comics in the 1960s, they were run in an obscure science fiction magazine called the Miskatonic Science Fiction Quarterly. There is an urban legend that, before being replaced by Artemia salina (brine shrimp), the original organisms sold actually bore a strong resemblance to the cartoon-like creatures in the ad.

The story goes that a reclusive young man, living in his parents' basement, sent away for the Sea Monkeys (then called Instant Life), and kept a journal of their growth and activities for nearly a year. He recorded the stages of their growth, their behavior and habits, and a surprisingly long list of tricks he taught them and ways they interacted with him.

Then one night he was said to have brutally slaughtered both his parents, and was found by neighbors in the basement where he was dismembering his mother and father's bodies and feeding them to his creatures -- thousands of them, in huge tanks. Eyewitnesses say that he had covered the walls and floor with strange words - such as "Cthulhu Fhtagn" - written in human blood.

The legend goes that unknown authorities came and took away the tanks, burned the house entirely down, and stole all police documents about the incident. Shortly thereafter, similar ads for Sea Monkeys appeared in comic books.

Juvenile and adult specimens

Juvenile specimen, close up

·
Super Moderator
64,106 Posts
Love these guys and also the little walk down Memory Lane with the Sea Monkey ad:)

·
Registered
383 Posts
First of all those look great, that is a lot of detail.
But WTF on the urban legend? That is crazy, I have never heard that one but i love it!
You didn't make that up did you?

·
Evil, Wicked, Mean, Nasty
2,236 Posts
The monkey's look great. I too love the scales.

But let's clear something up...my parents weren't dismembered in the basement. They were dismembered in the attic and dragged down to the basement. I hate how rumors get so blown out of proportion.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
LOL, thats what i so love about this forum and all you guys, you can turn almost anything into something halloweenie or just creepy.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I wanna see a death match between the rampaging imps and the cannibal sea monkeys!!!

·
Witch-Finder of Lilburn
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Plate of Beans Update

The specimens and accompanying items have been added to a couple of shadow boxes. I don't know...I'm not seeing "sinister" or "spooky," just "novelty" mostly. Suggestions are welcome.

I considered making more specimens, or at least putting one in each box, or maybe having them face the viewer, with some solid black eyes. Or ditching the ad. Or writing the back story in a creepy font; but I want to avoid kitschy typography. This is a perfect example of a concept I love with an execution that severely lacks sizzle. If I had the resources, I'd make a b&w photo of a bloody murder scene with broken aquariums etc... There should be a strong effect without having to read. I like my specimens but they just aren't evil-looking enough, maybe that's the problem.

But...but...that'd mean there's more work to be done... :crykin:

·
Witch-Finder of Lilburn
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That was central to my concept Doc, but actually I think you are right on the money. They need bite, and they need slither, and I know how to give it to them. Dread having to start over though, with so many other projects on the table(s). But isn't that the way stuff gets done.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts