Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is one able to run a wiper motor directly from a car battery instead of having to plug it in?

If not, is one able to have some contained source of power for the wiper motor?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Is one able to run a wiper motor directly from a car battery instead of having to plug it in?

If not, is one able to have some contained source of power for the wiper motor?
Yes, you can run a wiper motor using just a car battery.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Okay sickie Ill bite. Yes But why would you want to a car battery can be a really dangerous thing when left under load.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't want dangerous, but I don't want to have to plug in the wiper motors either. I want self contained so I can use them where ever I want them, but not have to have cord trailing all over.

·
Banned
4,493 Posts
I have used car batts before and it seemed to work well with no ill effects.Sometimes a small tractor battery hides easier.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I've used lawn mower batteries to power wiper motor props for a couple of years. I've never had a problem with them.
On the fastest speed a battery will last for a couple of nights (around 10 hours) before needing to be charged. I've run props for almost a week on the slower settings. It also depends on the load. The heavier the load the faster the battery runs out.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Wall Slum has the cheapest tractor/cycle batteries.

Okay I get the no cord part but here is my reservations;

1. A battery discharging generates heat

2. A battery outside is exposed to posible vandalism (every seen what battery acid can do and the little basterds would probably sue for the burns)

3. Small bateries usually require handling and assembly

4. They have to be stored when not in use in a well ventalated OUT building the fumes could seep all through a house just like carbon monoxide.

5. I worked in a shop that had a battery storage area the fumes ate the paint off the walls lead paint not that woosy latex stuff.

6. I have personally experience acid burns and man that is long term pain (your listening to a guy who had a bone partially dissolve on his vertibre I KNOW PAIN)

7. Extension cords are cheap

8. Its just not safe and I RARELY say that

9. Batteries are not cheap

10. Hey I was on a roll

·
Banned
764 Posts
i couldn't agree more i have burned my skin and burned holes in my clothes......b/c of batteries......i have not seen melted bone or paint peel of walls but i don't doubt it either just use the plugins its safer.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, it's a fool who does not listen to people with experience.

So, how do you hide the trailing cords outside so it's pretty and people won't trip over them?

·
Banned
764 Posts
dig a very small trench ...but watch out for gas power and water and telephone......call and have them mark where the wires are...... dig a small trench and stuff the wire in it ...im talking like a half inch deep at most just a slit in the ground cram wire in it ......doesn't sound like a trip hazard.

·
Banned
764 Posts
i mean take a shovel jam in ground half inch deep and continue till you have your path then you have your trench for the wire. ........no one will see wire or trip over it and when its over pull wire up no rut and holes realy.......dont be digging just .......im having hard time explaining this .......more like scoring the lawn.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I couldn't do the shaggy lawn thing. The inspectors around here are a nuissance (Sp?) and I'd be fined for sure.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Wall Slum has the cheapest tractor/cycle batteries.

Okay I get the no cord part but here is my reservations;

1. A battery discharging generates heat

2. A battery outside is exposed to posible vandalism (every seen what battery acid can do and the little basterds would probably sue for the burns)

3. Small bateries usually require handling and assembly

4. They have to be stored when not in use in a well ventalated OUT building the fumes could seep all through a house just like carbon monoxide.

5. I worked in a shop that had a battery storage area the fumes ate the paint off the walls lead paint not that woosy latex stuff.

6. I have personally experience acid burns and man that is long term pain (your listening to a guy who had a bone partially dissolve on his vertibre I KNOW PAIN)

7. Extension cords are cheap

8. Its just not safe and I RARELY say that

9. Batteries are not cheap

10. Hey I was on a roll
I guess I won't be using the batteries for next year!! :( Probably lucky I made it this far without an accident! That's the great thing about this forum. You get advice on so many different topics. Like y'all said, better safe than sorry! Thanks for bringin' that thought home.:)
I'll be goin' with computer power supplies and cords.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts