Haunt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size (gauge) wire would be best to use for soldering? also if there is a certain name for it, what is it?
I want to make one of those large coffins with the thin material on it..so it would have to be sturdy enough to stand without buckling

I don't have a welder yet for metal, so soldering this will have to do.

·
Premium Member
3,168 Posts
For this project, you'll likely need at least 1/8" diameter steel rod. It's pretty easy to bend into the shapes that you'll need, but cutting it requires the right tool. I'd recommend bending the rods as much as possible and only soldering where needed. If you draw the coffin frame on paper, you'll see where the bends can be made to minimize the solder work. Applying solder to 1/8" rod will require a lot of heat. You may need to use a small propane torch to make the joints, and use large diameter solder as well.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Otaku..good idea on the torch

·
Registered
40 Posts
If I were you I think that I would look for some type of wire mesh like the kind that is used in cement work. It comes in a sheet that is around 4 x 8’. You could cut it to size and than bend it were you need to. To braze or solder all of the joints will take a long time and using a torch is not for the faint of heart. They produce a lot of heat and they are not toys. Also I believe to braze you will need more heat than you will get with a propane torch.

·
Ghost Maker
2,931 Posts
I have soldered small metal parts using a propane torch, rosin core solder and plenty of flux. It is basically the same setup used to sweat copper tubing for plumbing fixtures. For example I used this technique to attach a metal arm to a collar for the crank arm on my FCG, it has survived 2 seasons so far. If I understand what you are trying to build, you might consider 3/8" or 1/2" wooden dowels, or other wood stock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.