Haunt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Wow, thanks! From what I understand, the UK is starting to catch on with Halloween in that some people observe it? Is that correct?

Do you guys still celebrate Guy Fawkes day over there?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah I’m from the UK …
We have always had Halloween, but the trick or treat style with costumes etc. is more American. Still as we become the 51st state, we are starting to celebrate it in a more American way!

Guy Fawkes Night AKA Bonfire Night is on the 5th of November and has always been the bigger celebration we have fire works and make a wood and straw replica of Guy and then burn him on a huge fire! :)

*As I write this I suddenly realise that must sound really “Wicker Man” to you guys over there! LOL*

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Actually... Guy Fawkes day was celebrated here as late as the mid 19th century, when Halloween was brought to the forefront thanks to the Victorian-era American's fascination with it, and all things occult. In fact, some of the Halloween traditions here can be traced back to some common Guy Fawkes customs, like begging for a penny for the Guy (trick or treating).

Guy Fawkes Day is responsible for Halloween's survival here! It was the only thing the Puritans "celebrated", as they frowned upon any and all things Catholic or Popal, and there was no room on their calendar for holy days and celebrations.

Yeah yeah, I know I'm rambling... :D

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Yes, there are a few people that I think need to go the way of the Policeman in The Wicker Man. ;) Creepy flick, that. Wouldn't mind celebrating Guy Fawkes Day as well as Halloween. Every cool holiday that even looks like it's ghastly in nature needs to be celebrated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts