Haunt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Humanitarian of the Year
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pallet demo seems to give people grief. Most wooden pallets are nailed together with rim shank nails which are designed to prevent "backing out" or easy to pry out. It's not impossible but extremely difficult. There is a way to shrink demo time from hours to minutes. The only drawback is that if you don't have a reciprocating saw, you have to buy one. They are obviously great for other things too and every household should have one - corded or cordless, it doesn't matter.

Stuff you need:
- reciprocating saw (aka Sawzall)
- metal cutting sawzall blade
- pallet

What you do:
- Get the metal cutting blade in the saw.
- stick the blade in between the deck boards and the blocks.
- start cutting all nailed locations.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Actually great info as I have a nice stack in my driveway that my wife wishes I would do something with!!

·
Capt'n Pirate MacGyver
3,067 Posts
Not always THAT easy either ... guess they build pallets a little different here in Md. Its still taken me an hour or more to get 1 pallet apart.

·
User Title Already Taken
2,237 Posts
I have had 4 pallets sitting in my drive for the past year and a half. They are going away this weekend. Unfortunately mine are not as easy as yours. These were used to ship in heavy equipment for a data center. 1 inch ply on top, 2x12s underneath with 4x4s under that. lagbolted together with 6 inch lags. I am tired of having them sit so I am chainsawing them up and burning them this weekend.

Otherwise you are spot on for a normal pallet.

·
Volat cum ea suas alas.
12,853 Posts
We Urban Amish just feed our beaver a lot of Mountain Dew, and then set him loose in a pen full of pallets...he's usually all done in about an hour.

·
Amateur by definition.
1,453 Posts
Pallet demo seems to give people grief. Most wooden pallets are nailed together with rim shank nails which are designed to prevent "backing out" or easy to pry out. It's not impossible but extremely difficult. There is a way to shrink demo time from hours to minutes. The only drawback is that if you don't have a reciprocating saw, you have to buy one. They are obviously great for other things too and every household should have one - corded or cordless, it doesn't matter.

Stuff you need:
- reciprocating saw (aka Sawzall)
- metal cutting sawzall blade
- pallet

What you do:
- Get the metal cutting blade in the saw.
- stick the blade in between the deck boards and the blocks.
- start cutting all nailed locations.
I got 12 inch blades for my Sawzall today. 10 minutes a pallet!

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you don't mind shortening your boards by a couple inches...

I take a circular saw with the blade set at the depth of the boards and make a cut down both sides just inside the nails. Follow that with the sawzall down the middle support like Lord Homicide suggested and you can have a pallet stripped in a couple minutes.

So instead of having to cut three rows of nails, you are only cutting one.
;)

·
Amateur by definition.
1,453 Posts
You must be stopping to talk to someone every now and then :).

I can rip through one in a couple of minutes.
Blade change at #8. Depends on the wood and how tight the nails are. Some are 4 minutes some are a PITA. Bought the furring strips today. I'll see how many feet 13 pallets give me.

·
Amateur by definition.
1,453 Posts
I also found setting 'em on end with the slats horizontal to the ground. Goes faster that way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts