Haunt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here is my entry into the contest. Personally, I'm not all that happy with how the paint came out on this prop. Painting is definitely a weakness of mine and I really have to learn some better techniques before I try to finish the crypt off.

Here is the cost breakdown (paint and liquid nails have been pro-rated):

1/2 Sheet of 2" Foam: $7.04
1/6 Sheet of 1" Foam: $1.26
Tiny Amount of Liquid Nails: $0.20
1/4 Can flat white house paint: $2.62
Tiny bit of flat black house paint: $1.31
1/4 Can flat black spray paint: $1
1/4 Can grey spray primer: $1
3/8" T x 48" L Wooden dowel: $1.39
TOTAL COST: $15.82

After the contest, I may make an attempt at re-painting it with a base coat of a light grey and try adding weathering by hand with a slightly darker grey.

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
heresjohnny said:
Hey Zombie-f, I like the paint job. It looks like there is a lot of fine grain crackling, I cannot tell from the picture if that is paint or texture, but I would like to know how you got that look.
The foam board was textured. I used a method where you wet the foam down (before paint) with a spray bottle. Then, using a small handheld butane torch, you quickly burn the surface of the stone. The water makes it so that some spots readily melt inwards while other spots do not. Gives it a really nice, stoney texture.

Then to paint it, I gave it a base coat of flat white house paint. After that dries, you wet the stone down with a garden hose. Then, using either grey or black spraypaint, you spray a small area and then immediately wet that area again (with a light spray, like a shower). This causes the paint to run down the stone and the water keeps it out of the tiny cracks and divots made by the torch.

Overall, I guess it could have turned out better. The painting technique is a little too random for my liking. I may still wind up re-painting with a light grey base coat and using a sponge to sponge on a slightly darker grey.

I guess I'm my own worst critic. :p

Thanks for the kind words guys. :D

·
Registered
314 Posts
Great tombstone. I was wondering where you got the inspiration. I know I saw some pis of similar ones on the web. I think they use them overseas in cemetaries there. Is this correct?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.