Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Necro Rising
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a quick accessory that I created for this year's zombie costume for MHC. Made from plastic chain and an old $4 lantern from IKEA. It added a nice little voodoo accent with some spanish moss and an LED flicker tea light.

·
Super Moderator
64,110 Posts
What handsome zombies:)

I'll have to check out the local IKEA - a $4 lantern is a good buy.

·
Humanitarian of the Year
4,241 Posts
That's a good idea. How did you hide the starburst design etched on the glass?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
That's a very cool lantern, I think I saw you at MWHC. Can't wait till next year already.

·
Necro Rising
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. Roxy, it's called the Rotera Lantern, and it's $3.99. It's silver, but it worked great for this project. I bought some new ones for the house that are black, though.

Lord Homicide, the starburst is still etched into the glass, I simply watered down some brown latex paint I had and did a thin wash with a paintbrush on all of the panels so that it looked dirty and smudged.

kprimm, it sure was difficult to hold a zombie lantern, a camera AND cold beers with only 2 hands... :) I can't wait for next year. The 10th Anniversary should be incredible!

·
Clean "cut"
27,011 Posts
Those lanterns look good, nice prop

·
IN MEMORIAM - A Wee Bit Wicked....
8,670 Posts
:jol: As always Highbury, you ROCK the "zombie" look!:D Nice lantern too, and very creative the way you 'dirtied' it up! ;)

·
Registered
708 Posts
Man, why can't we have an Ikea. Those look so good. Nice job on the paint.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Cool.

I bought some square lanterns from Lowes off the clearance rack last year. I only paid .50 cents each, but mine don't look as good. I bought black and silver lanterns. I have been trying to decide what to do with them.

Mine have clear glass so I was thinking about cutting out black and orange vinyl silhouettes, and applying them to frosted glass.

I tried painting pictures on the glass for a couple of centerpieces, but alas, the lack of talent came into play and that idea went into the trash fairly quickly. LOL!

I really like adding the chain and moss. That makes a huge difference. I just might steal that idea from you.

I am thinking about adding RGB leds in the silver lanterns and making pathway lights out of them for Christmas.

·
Muddled Moderator
28,214 Posts
Those look great. Roxy is already making plans for us to go to Ikea soon. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts